Bullets for the 7mm STW

[ QUOTE ]

140 accubond
F215m
86 GRS-Retumbo
OAL-3.835=.10 OFF LANDS

[/ QUOTE ]

blacktail2, do you use your magazine while hunting? If I recall correctly (am not at my loading bench to look it up) my magazine will not accept a cartridge no where near that long (3.835). While my STW has the long freebore, my mag will only accept an OAL of about 3.65 (I think). So how do you use a round that long in your magazine?

I have a sendaro also in 7stw . I am new to this round .What would you guys think the max range on this cal mite be on deer. I am reading a book about 1000 yard shooting and some of the shots they speak of our unbeliveable . Just wondered what you guys think. I have a 500 met. range to shoot at but have not made it there yet. Thanks
Bill

Something to think about... a 140 gr bullet still retains 2k lb-ft of energy @ 500 yds!!!??? anybody try 89.0 grns H5010 under a 160 ab?? Cloverleaves all day long @ 300.

blacktail2, do you use your magazine while hunting? If I recall correctly (am not at my loading bench to look it up) my magazine will not accept a cartridge no where near that long (3.835). While my STW has the long freebore, my mag will only accept an OAL of about 3.65 (I think). So how do you use a round that long in your magazine [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Rm76,
An oal of 3.835 fits fine in my rifles magazine.My rifle was build by Bettin Custom Guns,and I am not sure what kind of box he put in it.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a sendaro also in 7stw . I am new to this round .What would you guys think the max range on this cal mite be on deer. I am reading a book about 1000 yard shooting and some of the shots they speak of our unbeliveable . Just wondered what you guys think. I have a 500 met. range to shoot at but have not made it there yet. Thanks
Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

My 3rd longest kill was 611 yards with a 7mm stw sendaro, Nightforce 5.5-22x56mm, 140 nosler ballistic tip

i have taken several deer in the 400-500 yard range with no problem!

The AB 160 gr. in front of R-25 has been my go-to load for everything. I believe this should be a good load to start. It has taken coyotes to moose without a hiccup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm having great luck with Retumbo behind 160gr TSX. I'm pushing them at 3306 with a 1/2" group. I'm gonna start playing with the 140's next for a good turbo goat load. I did try some 150 in the regular barnes x they shot well but I never used them much. I've also got some MRX's on order to play with. My STW loves Retumbo, I've tried RL-22, RL-25, H1000, 4831, 7828, H50BMG, H870, and Retumbo with various loads. The retumbo has been the best with the vast majority of loads I tried. My buddies STW seems too like H50BMG more than mine.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm having great luck with Retumbo behind 160gr TSX. I'm pushing them at 3306 with a 1/2" group.

[/ QUOTE ]

what barrel length?
how much retumbo?
thanks

Win Mod 70 classic stainless, McMillain Lazzeroni Sporter stock, Factory 26" barrel (re-crowned), 82 gr Retumbo, W-W cases, 3.598 OAL, Fed GM215M primers. I consider this my max load. Last .5 Grains spike the velocity pretty good. Bolt still lifts easy and the primers look about par (flows around the pin with everything I feed it) I used a shooting chrony approximately 12' from the muzzle. Any closer with that rifle and I don't get consistant readings. I have noticed out of three different factory 7's that I've been messing with (2 Win STW's, 1 RUM Rem 700) mine has the "loosest" barrel. I'd approach that load with caution of course. By the way, does anyone know if the Fed GM215M primers are colder/hotter than the others. With the other STW I loaded 88gr H50BMG w/ 160 Nosler Accubonds with pretty good accuracy. It's a Model 70 LRH 26" bbl. I noticed the following:

CCI Magnum Rifle Primers ~1/2" groups @ 3050
Fed GM215M Primers ~1 1/4" Groups @ 2930

The loads I've developed for mine love the match primers, basically every load I've ever developed for it. My buddies STW seems to think different, gotta love it...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts