RETICLE?

Hello Dave

I recall you saying that you had a self imposed range of 750 yards.

That would warrent the rangefinder scale at that distance and I see why you like that one.

I can't remember a shot less then 1050 yds that we have taken to kill our game while LR hunting.

We are talking different yardages here and the norm is 1250 "plus" and usually out to 1500 or more for us.

Like I mentioned, the spotter round first works best for us at the range we shoot.
Some have stated they don't like the additional ranging grids in the view finder & some do not.
I happen to be on the side of the one's who don't.

That certainly does not make me right and someone else wrong.

It's just something that has worked for many of the Longrange hunters I have been around for 25 or 30 yrs now.

I guess we can all "agree to disagree" with the others point of view and let the newbie make his choice in the field and at the yardage he wants to shoot.

It's real hard to argue with "actual fire" when seeing the bullet impact with the spotter first system at extended range.
As you know, most if not all ballsitics charts are not dead on from day to day and at different altitudes.
Actual fire now comes into play
Later
DC
smile.gif
smile.gif

Okay Darryl... I get the idea
grin.gif
grin.gif

Have you been taking to my wife? She also feels the need to tell me things a few times to let is soak through/in.

P. S. I'll fix the rapid fire response posts, put a little oil on that mouse trigger..

Hello Dave and All

Sorry for the repeat on the posts.
Just changed computers.

I'm having problems on the Lap top and it is working so slow that I didn't think the post went on the forum. .

I kept hitting the button.

I will delete it unless Len would like to.

SORRY
mad.gif
mad.gif

DC

Darryl

I'm deleting some of them right now.. I may leave a few just for the entertainment value... the day Darryl had the rapid fire laptop...
smile.gif

Entertainment value is called "the day Darryl had a pituatary malfunction"

See what Old Age does to you.

I better go burn some powder and haul some corn to the deer. The Local Sportsman club gives out two bags (100 # each) to each member every Saturday. I will take the 4 bags (2 for Carol) and let the deer have a treat. The Temp. here is about 8 degrees right now and it was 1 degree not long ago.

Later
DC
smile.gif

Just got back from hauling and placing corn in 4 ideal loacations on our 100 acres.

The Sinnemahoning sportsman club went through 30 Tons of corn "TODAY."
Members vehicals were lined up a long way waiting to get to the corn bins.

The feeding program helps the turkey, deer and elk here in North Central, PA.

What's this have to do with reticles? Not much execpt Most of the guys hauling corn today that I saw and know, are longrange and extreme Longrange hunters.

Steep side hills and Long distance are the order of the day in this area. Closest shooting from my place is 1000 yds out to 3000 yds, "if you can see the hits."

S1

You keep talking about the width of "ONE (1)" line on the R2 retricle.
Put 15 of those lines in a row verticly and 8 on the horizontal plane and most will agree with my statement of not having a clear view of the impact at extended range.
Several shooters have sold their NF with the R2 because of this.

Later
DC

[ 01-18-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Darryl,

Was that 8 degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius?
shocked.gif

I've been feeding some quail here. Yesterday morning, I saw the covey coming towards the front of the house, so I called the dog in the back door and threw some feed out for them. A few minutes later they made their way around the side of the house and found the feast. I spent a few minutes watching them, when out of no where, a hawk swooped in and made a meal out of one of them.
mad.gif

It may be a while before they are willing to take another hand out from me.

DC didn't know that you had elk in PA.
Dave that was kinda sneakey voting us out like that
wink.gif
. So what are you using on the new 338 including the mounting system?

S1

The fat ones can't run?? That's pretty good.
I like that one.

They don't move at all with the spotters because the impacts are far enough away that even the "thin" ones don't get scared and move. They never hear the impacts of the spotter shots because the bullet lands quite a distance from the animal. We make sure of it.

The only way they run is when someone (not in our group) takes a shot directly at them and didn't count enough lines in their rangfinder scope or didn't have a decent rangefinder to range them correctly and the bullet lands at their feet or just under their belly. They run then.
I've seen people do this and I'm sure you have seen it too.

We do put a lot of corn out and the 8 point I got this past season was a pretty nice North Central mountain buck.
wink.gif
It wasn't "fat or thin" just healthy looking.
grin.gif

Tim
That was 8 Degrees F. It was 1 degree F this morning.
It is now up to a warm 14 degrees F.
The Hawk got a good meal the way it sounds.

Later
DC

Texas

Yes, there are elk in PA. There have been elk here since asbout 1900 when they were brought in from Wyoming.

They have had elk hunts here the last two years now and the herd size warrents hunting them on a drawing. They killed 70 of them this year.

An estimated herd size of 750 in the North central part of the State.

I had 5 Bulls in my yard at once on more then one occasion. They are distructive as hell. Have to put up electric fences to keep them out of the garden and away from the fruit trees.
We are right in the middle of the elk range.

Later
DC

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.