Long Range Reticle Thread

Shepherd 5-25x56 each circle represents an 18 inch deer (back to brisket). Just hold the circle that brackets the deer the best. The numbers are 100s of YDS, not MOA or MIL. Reticles are available for different bullet weights & velocities to best fit your cartridge ballistics. They have a 24" circle for elk.
1710108913741.png

Last edited:
For hunting, I really like the reticle in my Bushnell LRHS with the 'circle of death' at 2mil as this allows great visibility and target acquisition at low power while still not too heavy at high power.

For target / long range, I prefer my Minox ZP5 MR4 reticle as I find it very clean and easy to track for my eyes. I prefer it over my ZCO MPCT2 (although the MPCT 2X they recently come out with is a bit 'cleaner' version IMHO).

Attachments

• IMG_7296.jpeg
    IMG_7296.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7295.png
    IMG_7295.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7294.png
    IMG_7294.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 53
I couldn't seem to find a thread that showed various long range reticles in one thread, so I thought I would start one.

This may benefit someone looking to purchase a new scope with popular long range reticles.

Please post your favorite reticle that you use on your long range rifles.

The MOAR(T) is my favorite hands down. I have a standard MOAR in an NXS and two MOAR-T in ATACR's.

View attachment 528794

Other Nightforce reticles: https://www.nightforceoptics.com/reticles/second-focal-plane/minute-of-angle-moa-second-focal-plane/
Can't go wrong with NF.

1710206726342.jpeg

To each their own but I've enjoyed using this one for the last year on a T6XI Steiner. They don't get much love on here but so far an outstanding scope. I believe S&B also uses this. It's a rarity anyone doesn't have rangefinders these days but in a pinch or just for fun, this makes measuring objects easy.

Unless you get a more functional F1 reticle like that in the Tangent Theta Long Range Hunter. That said, at 3x it is not large, but noticeable. Wonder how it will look with illumination on or with the reticle against the dark woods in the background?

As with the P5fl, not my scope or photos. Range 125 yards to cow.

3x
View attachment 529857

6x
View attachment 529858

10x
View attachment 529859

15x
View attachment 529860
Unless there's a lot of wind you're going to miss that cow...

I really like the TMOA illuminated reticle my Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44, its 2nd ffp, but i recently upgraded my Bergara .300WM to a Vortex Viper Gen.II 5-25X50 illuminated ffp with the EBR7C Reticle, I'm hoping the extra magnification & christmas tree reticle will help me reach out there & touch an elk someday or ring steel at distance.
TMOA.jpg

Vortex.jpg

March FML-TR1 in 4.5-28x52 FFP
Illuminated center crosshair & bold pointing horizontal bar makes it usable on 4.5x for closer shots, by ~8-10x you can use all the data easily.
1710735072490.png

Shepherd 5-25x56 each circle represents an 18 inch deer (back to brisket). Just hold the circle that brackets the deer the best. The numbers are 100s of YDS, not MOA or MIL. Reticles are available for different bullet weights & velocities to best fit your cartridge ballistics. They have a 24" circle for elk.
I have an old ~2010 vintage Shepherd P310-A1 3-10x44 w. 18" circles. It has served me well to ~600yds on mule deer with a 300WM. A neighbor of mine took a mule deer at 1k w. his 270, although I'm not sure I'd advocate for it with was much as we've learned in the last 15 years.
The flip side, one time during doe season I totally miss-judged this group of yearlings as full grown and missed by a mile, something to be aware of.
Glass is great imho even compared to some of the newer optics, it'll be going on my GF's 7mm08. I can range the target & tell her which circle to hold, which makes it much simpler for both of us.

vortex ebr-4
athlon atmr-4
sig msr-bd10
moar cf-2
moar-f1

not in any order and the furthest I've shot is 600 yards (hoping to get/go 1k and 1 mile) as avoiding powerlines is the main issue in my area. Just not a fan of a busy reticle.