Rest In Peace....my ol' trusty Dremel finally gave up

Baylor243

Life bites you in the seat sometimes. Just really gets you down. Here today, gone tomorrow. My Dremel tool gave up for good today, and I was 3/4 of the way through one of those retro-fit projects that I realized I should have never tried anyways. Too bad, its gonna turn out great after I shop vac up all the shavings and back-fill the unnecessary voids with black epoxy.

You will be missed, but I will keep you around forever. You will hang on the wall in tribute, and I promise to continue use your cord to tie the door open in the summer to let the breeze in. I don't want your 2 best friends to be lonely, therefore I solemnly vow to fill your place in the top drawer next to the JB weld and the duct tape right after church tomorrow. I promise to (mis)treat my new one even worse than I (mis)treated you. You, however will be the only one in my life that I ever put the Dale Earnhardt 3 decal on. You are the intimidator of unsolicited contact and the deacon of better fitment.

To the greatest gunsmithing tool of the modern times...may you rest easy in kilowatt heaven. Cheers!

my rotary tool recently gave up the ghost also... I'm on the hunt for another... what's the best bang for the buck out there at present?...

Mine puked several years ago. Found a guy in California who sold parts for them. Google may help you.

My original Dremel, a single speed, dark grey job, that I bought nearly 40 years ago gave up too. I thought about getting parts and fixing it but when I started looking at the modern Dremels, with their multy speeds, all the attachments that go with them etc for less than a 100 bucks on sale, I decided to do like you. hang the old one on the wall and get a new one. Been using the new guy for about 5 years, BIG improvement over the original.

1644164038506.jpeg

images

I'm touched to know that all of you care…even if it was just a dremel tool. Most of my post was intended for entertainment, and hopefully to cheer up somebody who was bored trolling the forums and needed a quick laugh.

My Dremel gave up because it was at least 10 years old I probably stripped out all the spline gears or whatever the heck kind of transmission is on the inside. It's been coming for a while. I'm not gentile with most of my stuff.

I can replace it for $49, and probably get half a dozen free bits along with the purchase. I will probably buy one just like my old one.

As such, I'm not going to bother messing with repairing it. I'd probably spend more on parts and shipping than it worth, not to mention my time.

I appreciate all the kind words, and hopefully you got a laugh from it. Most of all, I hope someday your dremel tool craps out on you halfway through a dumb idea. Hopefully you will think of my post and smile, and remember that it's not always worth fuming over. I fully plan to destroy another one doing what I seem to think are great ideas, and I hope you do too.

Cheers!

Recent Posts