How many Trusty Shellbacks we got???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by roaddog1m, Mar 6, 2010.

1. roaddog1m

roaddog1m Well-Known Member

Just wondering how many Trusty Shellbacks there are on this site. The rest of you scurvy wogs can just bow out of this one. :D

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

SM2(SW) reporting for muster.

Crossed for the first time in 2000 on the way to RIO USS Estocin FFG-15 second time in 2002 on a west pack on USS Ingerham FFG-61.

I could not tell you which time was more fun LOL:D

3. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Sorry......not me.

When the Big E went from coast to east coast I went to Idaho to get married and drove across to Norfolk.

4. Crane

Crane Well-Known Member

Not me either; NAS Bermuda & NAS Roosevelt Roads. It was tough duty but someone had to do it.

5. roaddog1m

Slimy Wogs!!!:cool:

6. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

So does it count if you were in the Corps attached to a amphibious battalion on a 6 month cruise and crossed the equator?

7. roaddog1m

Only if you participated in the ceremony and became a Shellback. A lot of Marines are also Shellbacks.

8. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

Nope, I didn't participate but my son did back around I guess it was 95'.

9. roaddog1m

I crossed over in 91. I saw a vid on youtube of some maritime sailers crossing over. It wasn't even close to the same. Still looked fun though.

10. Plankowner

Plankowner New Member

Hello Follow Vets
    Ht3 crossed in feb 90 on USS Constellation.
    I rode it into Philly then got Plankowner 2 yrs later, as I transfered to Sima/Nrmf
    Philadelphia for the rest of my service.

11. sniperjwt

sniperjwt Well-Known Member

HT2 here
    unfortunatly the entire time i was in we did not do much but bomb some taliban. We did set the new record for most consecutive days at sea by a Navy ship at 159 days. Left 8 days after the 9-11 trade center bombings.
    Never crossed over though but did have some fun times and memories to last a lifetime.

12. eaglesnester

eaglesnester Well-Known Member

Here is one. Not only am I a shellback but I am a Golden Shellback, I crossed the international date line and the equator at the same time on a West Pack on the way to Australia. I guess being a Golden Shellback qualifies me to talk directly to King Neptune and I do not have to put in a chit like the rest of the lowlife shellbacks. It was the old mans twilight cruise. Was serving in the USS Coucal ASR8. I was the ships corpsman. This was way back in the 70es, can't remember the date.

Cheers&Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  13. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Sorry......not one!

When the Big "E" went from west coast to east coast for refueling in '69 I cut across the country to get married.

Just learned that the USS Enterprise, the longest active serving US naval vessel will be decomissioned next year. Got a bit of a tear in the eye when I heard the news.

14. Keith1

Keith1 Member

I was in the Marine Detatchment on the USS Helena CA 75. We crossed the line in May of 1960 in route to Australia.
    Regards, Keith
    Semper Fi