Repeaters VS Single shot

Any more the only rifle I'd build with a mag is if I was using a control feed action other wise solid bottom action built for single feeding would be my preference. I've numerous times put multiple rounds through bull elk near and far single sledding, if I've had issues with close fast shooting it's always been mag feeding related, single sledding has been a much simpler bet. I put three rounds through a bull at 600 yards feeding them of the stock pack so fast and easy a mag feed would not have been any advantage. Shot many at close range never once wish I was mag feeding, a few years ago I had a round jamb in the mag and screw the whole works up, hunted the rest of the season with that round jammed and found I never missed it.
I also hunt in areas with grizzlies and never ran into one where if they decided they didn't like me I would have been lucky to even get one round of, my rifle would actually be a liability at that point with optics and long barrel, my side arm is much more suited to bear defense since I have more rounds to bring and I practice using it in self defense situations.
you carry side arm and rifle? Dont know anybody including guides in my area that pack the extra weight.I front carry for a reason because of where I hunt.It major grizz area next to Glacier and I hunt both borders N &S have a friend that was mauled.I know this is a long range forum but alot are practicle hunters first,before just LR.Our timber and hunts differ greatly from the east side where your at.

More than one doesn't equate a whole mag.

If you were bordering some private property, rough terrain, or an Indian res you can bet your ace I would most certainly be planning on a second or 3rd shot. Its these situations you'll be glad you have a repeater and not a single shot. You cannot predict the future, but you can prepare for it.

Besides that I don't think I'd ever hunt with a barrel heavy enough to see a measurable difference. If a single vs repeater shrunk my groups by 0.1" or even 0.2" @100yds who cares, again I'd take the repeater everyday of the week.
I was specifically referring to a whole magazine in the post he replied to.

If you can't get it done without reloading a magazine you never should have taken the first shot to begin with.

On a dedicated LR rig a single shot makes sense for the reasons stated above but for most of us we're shooting an all around rifle because of all of the possible shorter range shots so for us a single shot makes less sense.

I am however reminded of a time many years ago my dad and I were trying to put down an antelope someone else had wounded with him shooting a Rem 700bdl and me shooting my Ruger number one.

The animal was on the run and I was able to get two solid hits that put it down in the same amount of time it took him to fire four misses.

you carry side arm and rifle? Dont know anybody including guides in my area that pack the extra weight.I front carry for a reason because of where I hunt.It major grizz area next to Glacier and I hunt both borders N &S have a friend that was mauled.I know this is a long range forum but alot are practicle hunters first,before just LR.Our timber and hunts differ greatly from the east side where your at.

Out of 6 guys I work with who spend time on foot in the mountains who seriously hunt horns and game 6 guys pack side arms as well as archery gear or rifles. Most guides I know pack, camp cook does for sure! It's much different hunting up there, my best friend moved to the end of Whitefish lake last summer so I'm getting there quite a little, looking forward to that hunting, hit the pike last weekend! Around here your less concerned with weight a buddy last year dumped a grizzly in the door of his sheep wagon, when they flew the area there were 13 bears per square mile in that area about half and half grizz and black bear, kinda tough area to make a living with sheep and cattle!!

I live and hunt around Yellowstone, a good number of the bears from this side of the park will den up in the areas I hunt, my wife and sister inlaw cook for guides who hunt that area and all the tents show bear sign, both are very handy with a side arm and will put 6 center mass and reload faster than they could find and shoulder a rifle.

We had a guy from up there come down and hunt with us, he's used to getting back in and finding elk up there, he struggle hunting with us because we were finding elk but not going after them because we'd only kill one then spend two days getting it out, he got had a much better understanding why we hunt different when we piled up more elk in an hour than he's seen in a year and got them out whole. It's much more practical for me to have my hands free, rifle stowed in back back and have a side arm, I'll pack the weight!! Though if I start hunting up there more we may be revisiting the idea :D

.1 and .2 were completely arbitrary numbers, but a single shot gun better give me one hole accuracy(of which, don't forget, repeaters are capable of too) at 100 so that .2" yields a difference of another 2" at 1000... So theoretically at 1000 your single shot is shooting 1-2" vs the repeater shooting 2-3"...... I hope this big game animal is bigger than a coyote. I think your load development and your range time are more important than this minuscule difference.

If I had a 30" hv barrel I'd put it on a single shot, I also wouldn't hunt with it.

We're allowed to disagree.. its ok babe :D
I have shot 1000 yard Benchrest for 14 years. I can fire and aim 10 shots in 30 seconds I heavy gun and 10 shots in less then a minute in light gun. Our fastest guys have been timed 10 shots in 13 seconds. I can't see how you can do it any faster with a magazine. It would take time to change magazines and you have to bolt the gun every shot. I have also been around 100 yard benchrest and observed what they shoot. Typically they will average around a .1 to .2 group aggregate on good days. These are PPC's which is the most accurate cartridge ever shot. They use 66 to 68 grain bullets and tune regularly. These are special built benchrest rigs with short heavy barrels. Some of then can shoot their 5 shots in 10 seconds or less. What you shoot at 100 yards it doesn't always hold out to 1000. The world record for 10 shots in light gun is 2.6 something and for Heavy is 2.815 inches. These are the only two 10 shot groups in the country ever fired under 3 inches. Again fired with Benchrest guns specially built for accuracy. I put my shots on paper where they are officially measured so it is no bull. I have had guns that shot .200 and less at 100 yards and would not shoot smaller then 12 inches at 1000. What works at 100 doesn't always shoot at 1000. Like I said these are special built guns with straight stocks so they track when shot off the rests. I would like to see that repeater in a hunting gun and hunting cartridge that will consistently outshoot the best guns in the country. These are just the facts. Matt

Bign green,Part of it is age for me and the amount of gear has grown to be a bit much for me and high country.I also grew up in mtns here hunting archery with nothing,now I Always pack my 44 in a custom set up that rides in a 2 inch brass ring ty down,below my fanny pack. I was a 2 time member on Mt state champ pistol team,Whitefish by the way.I also lost a 44 chasing bear with my bow,did find 4 yrs later,so... On same note my kids best friend lost his this year opener,now I get to go help him look,6 mile in and 2500 ulra steep verticle, not looking forward to it.This a bull I shot living in cliffs few years back,the 30' fall broke other side if you look.I tried to set up for a 850 type shot but missed opp and had to go bush whack him.

Attachments

• SP 6x6 MF.jpg
    SP 6x6 MF.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 52
I have shot 1000 yard Benchrest for 14 years. I can fire and aim 10 shots in 30 seconds I heavy gun and 10 shots in less then a minute in light gun. Our fastest guys have been timed 10 shots in 13 seconds. I can't see how you can do it any faster with a magazine. It would take time to change magazines and you have to bolt the gun every shot. I have also been around 100 yard benchrest and observed what they shoot. Typically they will average around a .1 to .2 group aggregate on good days. These are PPC's which is the most accurate cartridge ever shot. They use 66 to 68 grain bullets and tune regularly. These are special built benchrest rigs with short heavy barrels. Some of then can shoot their 5 shots in 10 seconds or less. What you shoot at 100 yards it doesn't always hold out to 1000. The world record for 10 shots in light gun is 2.6 something and for Heavy is 2.815 inches. These are the only two 10 shot groups in the country ever fired under 3 inches. Again fired with Benchrest guns specially built for accuracy. I put my shots on paper where they are officially measured so it is no bull. I have had guns that shot .200 and less at 100 yards and would not shoot smaller then 12 inches at 1000. What works at 100 doesn't always shoot at 1000. Like I said these are special built guns with straight stocks so they track when shot off the rests. I would like to see that repeater in a hunting gun and hunting cartridge that will consistently outshoot the best guns in the country. These are just the facts. Matt

Not everyone is a BR guru. Besides that this is not in regard to BR, but thanks for the BR update.

I said theoretically, we don't have the facility nor the equipment here at LRH to gauge every member's "ability". I'm fully aware that 100yd groups are not linear to 1000yds, and I think 98% of everyone here knows this as well. Again, thanks.

Here are the facts: we can go about this all day, year, decade. Its the shooters preference and I've seen a lot more (land slide status) repeaters than single shots.

OK Time for the pollsters.Take one on here and it will be opposite one on Sniper Hide:D

I was just using that because you said repeaters give one hole accuracy and shoot in the ones and twos. I gave you examples of real world accuracy by the best guns around put on paper and officially measured. I stated all facts and had more to do with the OP and his original post. Another thing some of the very first longrange hunting gunsmiths came from right here in Pa. They were building longrange hunting guns since the 1950's and a bunch got together and formed the Original Pa. 1000 yard benchrest club. It started out in 1968 and they were longrange hunters that wanted to get together and compete. There are thousands of longrange hunters here and most all of them are shooting single shots. Matt

I was just using that because you said repeaters give one hole accuracy and shoot in the ones and twos. I gave you examples of real world accuracy by the best guns around put on paper and officially measured. I stated all facts and had more to do with the OP and his original post. Another thing some of the very first longrange hunting gunsmiths came from right here in Pa. They were building longrange hunting guns since the 1950's and a bunch got together and formed the Original Pa. 1000 yard benchrest club. It started out in 1968 and they were longrange hunters that wanted to get together and compete. There are thousands of longrange hunters here and most all of them are shooting single shots. Matt

You've misconstrued my words a little, but whatever, I'm over it. How do you unsubscribe to these threads??

What Matt said was the basic point I was trying to make. it your shooting a very long way and have a gun dedicated to that why would you use a repeater??? I think Matt hit the nail on the head as the reasons to use the single shot.

What Matt said was the basic point I was trying to make. it your shooting a very long way and have a gun dedicated to that why would you use a repeater??? I think Matt hit the nail on the head as the reasons to use the single shot.

Dedicated long range guns are called target guns IMO. I get his point, but my point is hunting doesn't always occur at long range. Like I said before, are you going to pass up a 400" bull b/c he isn't "long range"?? Well maybe if you already have a 405" bull on the wall... but any ways.

Then again it comes back to preference. The shooter makes all the difference in the world. I could have the most accurate gun in the world and go up against the top shooter with a slightly lesser gun at long range and lose against said top shooter. How could that be? Probably b/c there are too many variables to account for. Further more, if the conditions are absolutely perfect does it matter if the 10" target (gong or vitals) is shot with a 0.1" gun versus a 0.25"gun??? I say nope, hit is a hit. It still goes ding or the game is still dead. For extreme long range you have a little more of an argument, but now you're dealing with a very small percentage of shooters.

Any former or current snipers here? single shot or repeater?... Everything this civilian has seen says repeater.

Of course a more accurate gun reduces human error, but will not eliminate it. Your gun can't shoot the critter for you.

OK Time for the pollsters.Take one on here and it will be opposite one on Sniper Hide:D
I would tend to agree. Another one, How many own a high end tactical stock with a single shot action? Most tactical shooters would call this a tragedy to a good stock.

FWIW, I have repeater tactical stocks but only load them single shot while big game hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.