Single shot vs. mag. fed

Forester

Just a curiosity, how many folks here either use a single shot action or load such that the rounds won't feed from the magazine for a big game rifle? I can't remember ever taking a second shot at an animal where I had to do it fast enough that I could not have just fed it in manually.

How about a varmint rifle, different answer?

I do not have a single shot action on any of my hunting guns, buit I ussally single feed them while long range hunting. I will have the mag loaded with with rounds that fit the mag that shoot good out to say 300 yards but have other ammo tested for longrange applications.

The way i decide is if I am prone and can effectively single feed i will, but walking around in the woods where a single shot reload would be difficult I stick to the mag.

Most all my shooting is single feed. Heck i just shot a "sniper" Match at my local gun club and shoot my PSS single feed. You had to start with an empty gun and it took to much time to load. You can shoot almost as fast single feed as you can with a mag system. No one beat me on time in the event and most had detacable mag systems preloaded.

I find that having a magazine allows me to take more time focusing on the shot that worrying about reloading if I miss.

BUT...I don't hunt anything but varmints, (coyotes mostly) and most of my shooting is at targets, not animals!

I shot a long range, well for this forum it was more medium range, (400-750 yards) class last spring with an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel, and had comparable success to the bolt guns, but was able to shoot a lot more rounds, thus getting a lot more practice, in the 2 day course.

My two sons and I went through 600-700 rounds, I don't think that would have been much fun single feeding!

Bill

I have three rifles that are single shot. All of which, because of the way I seat the bullet, would make it imposible to feed through a magazine. The first is a Savage model 12 Low Profile in 223. The next 2 are custom built wildcats. The first of the 2 is a 6.5-06 ackley improved that I use for 1000 yard plus shooting. The next is a 375/300 that I use as a long range, 600-800 yrd., heavy hitter. All three are extremely accurate.

I do own a Yogo WWII 8mm Mauser that allows me to load so the bullet kisses the rifling and still mag feeds. It is also accurate, printing 4" groups at 450 yrds.

If it bothers you enough, you CAN have your cake and eat it too -- there's several mag systems that will accommodate nice long cartridge OAL. If you build a custom, no reason not to include such a system if you are building a repeater for long range. Depending on the rifle, it may not be all that difficult for a competent smith to install such a system in an existing rifle. Just thought I'd throw that out there....

If it bothers you enough, you CAN have your cake and eat it too -- there's several mag systems that will accommodate nice long cartridge OAL. If you build a custom, no reason not to include such a system if you are building a repeater for long range. Depending on the rifle, it may not be all that difficult for a competent smith to install such a system in an existing rifle. Just thought I'd throw that out there....

I know about Wyatt's, are there any that can be made to function on a Savage action?

I use single-shots (handguns) all the time and do not see it as a disadvantage.
BTW-I do NOT hunt dangerous game.

My 338 AM (Bat action) and 338 Edge (Savage short action) are both single shots. My 7mm RM will feed from the magazine, but unless I was hunting dangerous game, I have no problem with a single shot. I also hunt with a single shot pistol (Encore in 357 Maximum) and have never needed a second shot for Whitetails.

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.