removeing finishes from rem 700 stock

Citrus stripper and about 50 coats of truoil
I have done a few with citrus, but after the strip is done and proper sanding - truoil is the way to go. You don't need 50 coats, 1/2 dozen will do if done correctly. I have been there and done that. An old gunsmith told me so. I think they stopped making the aerosol spray truoil so you may have to do it by hand or if you have a paint sprayer cut the truoil down a solvent so that it will spray. The only issue with re-doing a stocking that way is that the checkering fills up with the oil. You can mask the checkering off and I also just run checkering tools over the existing pattern. Makes the stock look better than factory. If you have some "dents" not gouges take a water soaked wash cloth, place it over the dent and put a hot clothes iron or hot iron over the dent. The heat and steam will suck up & expand the compressed wood in the dent. Be CAREFUL not to heat too long! If you want some more advice PM me.

Thanks
Len & Jill

I agree but the deep rich look takes many many coats. I prefer the 6-10 coats myself as I like the matte finish. The iron and wet cloth works well but I advise practice on another piece of wood just to get a feel for the iron. The checkering is also difficult but it takes time is all. I'm not sure how many I've done but they all turn out good. Just time is the key

My 700 came out similar to yours with multiple hand rubbed coats of true oil.
Similar grain structure in my stock.
The original factory finish certainlyvstoo d up to over 20 years of abuse before I re-finished it.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1624850216712.jpg
    FB_IMG_1624850216712.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 66
I've probably done 10-12 stocks over the past few years and have had great results with citrus stripper. I will put a very generous coat of the stuff on and leave it overnight. When the stuff dries it pretty much turns white, and I put another coat over the dried coat, let it set for a while and then wipe off the excess citrus stripper with a course rag. I then repeat this process until all of the finish is removed. When it comes to the checkering "DO NOT SAND THE CHECKERING" unless you plan on chasing the checkering and........that's a real PITA to do. What I do with the checkering is to again put a generous amount of stripper directly on the checkering, let is set for an hour or two and then use an old toothbrush to remove the old finish. Again repeat this process until all of the old finish is removed. This may sound like a lot of work, however it really is not.

As for the finish I use MinWax Antique Oil Finish, like $20 for a can. I will usually DA sand the dings and scratches out of the stock before I start applying the finish. And....remove all of the hardware off of the stock before you start to sand; like the sling swivels and butt pad. There's a You Tube video out there on this process, but could not find it. Once I have the stock sanding where I want it, I then get the MinWax oil ready by adding a small amount of stain to the oil. Usually will use MinWax oil based, dark walnut stain; but there a many dark colors that will work too. Pour about 1/4 cup of MinWax Antique Oil Finish in a shallow container (preferably with a cover) and then add the walnut stain a little at a time until you have reached the desired depth of color that you are looking for. Once you have the MinWax and stain mixture to where I want it, I use three grits of wet sandpaper for the finish. You ought to have some rubber/nitrile gloves when doing the sanding work. I start out with 180 grit wet sandpaper, dipping the sandpaper into the MinWax and then sanding the entire stock with the 180. Once the sanding is complete, I wipe the stock off with a clean, course cloth like a towel. When it comes to sanding in the areas around the checkering I will make small, sanding spatulas with a razor knife and paint stirrers cut in the same patterns as the checkering to get into the corners without hitting the checkering. I will apply the MinWax solution to the checkering using an old toothbush and then wipe the checkering off with a course cloth once the application is done. Sometimes it will take a couple of coats before the desired depth of color is reached. I like to let the stock dry overnight and then repeat this process with 220 grit and then 320 grit wet sandpaper. Essentially what the sanding with the increased grits of sandpaper is doing is filling in the pores of the grain in the wood. Once the sanding is completed apply a couple of coats of either gloss or flat clear.

And...............if you are not satisfied with the way the job came out, there's always the remaining Citrus Stripper that you originally started the job out with.😰;)😂 I've tried all of the commercial gunstock finishes, this system by far looks much finer than any of them. I will try to post a photo of a model 70 that I did for a guy.

I took a Hi Gloss wood stock to the "Dip and Strip Furniture" stripping guy. Brought it in in the morning and picked it up at 5 . The finish was all off. The stained and refinished

Recent Posts