Greenhorn removing a rem 700 barrel ?

ol mike

Can i take the barrel off of a rem 700 myself ? i have a vise w/ wood on the jaws etc.. and don't want to take a chance of tweeking the action.

Also don't want to damage the barrel i'm taking off.

Thanks for any help -ME

ps- i bought this rem 700 adl -7mm mag for a future build [338 edge] and keep wanting to put a scope,muzzlebreak -stock etc. etc. -in other words having trouble controlling myself and my checkbook.Maybe removing the barrel and stock and selling them will help.....sad -i know.....

Unless you have a good action wrench and barrel vise, getting a factory installed Rem barrel off is not going to be easy. Rem uses a lot of thread locker on their rifles.

Short answer, "yes" Long answer, you need some tools.

Easiest way I've found for getting any barrel off a gun.

One, a good barrel vise. Gotta have it.

Two, an action wrench that will purchase way up front by the locking lugs so you don't turn it into a bread twisty. Some captivate from the outside but I don't like those as much because there is the danger of marking up the receiver.

Three, a good hot air gun (NOT a torch)

Four, can of KROIL

Get the barrel in the vise nice and tight and hose it with Kroil. Use twice as much as you think you need. Stuff it in through the front scope mount hole and behind the breech.

Put the heat to it. Set it on high and get it HOT. It should blow white smoke, lots of it. The heat breaks down the thread locker and allows the Kroil to take advantage of capillary action to wick into the threads.

Then use a steady and even pressure to break the action loose.

Ta DA. Easy, takes about ten minutes tops.

The hot air gun won't nuke the finish on the receiver. A torch will.

I've done this same procedure for over 8 years with not one ill effect.

Good luck.

NesikaChad,

Sure wished this subject would have appeared a month or so ago.:mad:

I used "none" of your hints. I did the typical Idaho Red Neck thing. Just put a cheater on the solid socket wrench handle.

Now I know what a bread stick wrench looks like.:eek:

It came of with one hell of a snap. I wasn't sure what had broken.

Thankfully nothing had broken.

Was greatly worriied that action may have been twisted. I took it to a machinist for evaluation. After much fiddling it was determined to be in fine shape.

Wheewe....................

Ol' Mike: nothing you're gonna do with what you currently will do the job.

After you've taken the pipe handle off of the Handyman jack and have it way out on the handle end and are bearing down on it and she finally goes "SNAP" you'll all of a sudden feel like someone launched a zucchini up your butt. The "pucker factor" is phenomenal.:eek:

I have a good barrel vice with lead inserts that worked for me in the above scenario. If you really want the action off the barrel I'll send you the vise.

I also have a wrench that fits in up front at the locking lugs but it is aluminum and not adequate for anything other that a switch barrel arrangement. I'd be willing to send my bread twist wrench but I don't recommend using it only after the original barrel has been removed.

Lemme know.

Roy, your descriptive use of the English language is one of the things that keep me coming back to this forum. You always use terms we can all understand. Unfortunately, I may never eat zucchini bread again!
Jim

Yea a Zucchini and my butt should never be in the same conversation.

I have use Chad's way pretty much , use the heat gun to heat the action and soak it with Kroil but I let it set for over night then heat it again and break it loose . Kroil will wick into some very small places especialy after the action has been heated and grown a little.

A good action wrench is a must and a good barrel vise that grips the barrel all the way around rather than a regular bench vise.

Thanks for taking the time to explain the process to me guys --i think i'll leave it up to a gunsmith.
Thanks Roy but no thanks on the loaning of the tools -i'm afraid i'll start thinking i'm a gunsmith and get myself in deeper.

I put the gun in the back of the gun cabinet out of sight -seems to help a little - gives me time to get myself under control..

i'm afraid i'll start thinking i'm a gunsmith and get myself in deeper

Been there, done that!!

Had one Remmy that simply would not come apart. Finally had to chuck it up in the lathe and turn down the barrel in front of the recoil lug, worked like a charm but it doesn't do much for the resale value of the used barrel.:D

Chris

Thanks for taking the time to explain the process to me guys --i think i'll leave it up to a gunsmith.
Thanks Roy but no thanks on the loaning of the tools -i'm afraid i'll start thinking i'm a gunsmith and get myself in deeper.

I put the gun in the back of the gun cabinet out of sight -seems to help a little - gives me time to get myself under control..

Ah! patience and self-control - neither of which I have.:rolleyes:

And I even take pills for that:D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.