Removable muzzle brakes a bad idea?

MTLIVIN

So i had my Smith thread my Benchmark barrel for a removable Gen II APA Micro Bastard muzzle brake hoping I would be able to enjoy some long-range shooting with minimal recoil during the summer and then remove the brake with a cresent wrench (as it is desgined) for hunting an not have the severe concussion if I need to make a quick shot without hearing protection. Elk tend to go to thick cover around here during rifle, and shots are sometimes very fast and earplugs wouldnt make it in.

So I did my load development without the brake on as I was limited with time and found a 1/4 MOA load of 180 hybrids out of the 7mm Rem Mag. However, when I put the brake on my groups open to 1-1.5 MOA and impact 3" high?? So is this normal, or should I be looking to tweak my load and hopefully find one that the groups dont open up so bad with the brake installed? It wasn't cheap to buy the brake and have the threads cut and protector made, Im just wondering if this should be expected or maybe I should just develop another load with the brake on and keep 2 loads on my shelf, which is not ideal either... Thanks

So i had my Smith thread my Benchmark barrel for a removable Gen II APA Micro Bastard muzzle brake hoping I would be able to enjoy some long-range shooting with minimal recoil during the summer and then remove the brake with a cresent wrench (as it is desgined) for hunting an not have the severe concussion if I need to make a quick shot without hearing protection. Elk tend to go to thick cover around here during rifle, and shots are sometimes very fast and earplugs wouldnt make it in.

So I did my load development without the brake on as I was limited with time and found a 1/4 MOA load of 180 hybrids out of the 7mm Rem Mag. However, when I put the brake on my groups open to 1-1.5 MOA and impact 3" high?? So is this normal, or should I be looking to tweak my load and hopefully find one that the groups dont open up so bad with the brake installed? It wasn't cheap to buy the brake and have the threads cut and protector made, Im just wondering if this should be expected or maybe I should just develop another load with the brake on and keep 2 loads on my shelf, which is not ideal either... Thanks

POI will change every time there's a change in the barrel harmonics. Develop load on your hunting configuration.

ADDED: FYSA, we are now allowed to hunt big game in MT with suppressors.

Muzzle brakes should not hurt accuracy, they could actually help because of the added weight on the end of the barrel. They can however change the POI and need to be compensated for if you intend to shoot with or without a brake.

Check the brake for any signs of copper at the exit hole (If there is copper it means that bullet is striking the brake) and this will defiantly hurt accuracy.

The other option is to wear electronic hearing protection (It helps increase you hearing ability and
crops the sound upon firing.

Ether way, decide which way you are going to hunt and perfect your groups for hunting in that configuration.

J E CUSTOM

Muzzle brakes should not hurt accuracy, they could actually help because of the added weight on the end of the barrel. They can however change the POI and need to be compensated for if you intend to shoot with or without a brake.

Check the brake for any signs of copper at the exit hole (If there is copper it means that bullet is striking the brake) and this will defiantly hurt accuracy.

The other option is to wear electronic hearing protection (It helps increase you hearing ability and
crops the sound upon firing.

Ether way, decide which way you are going to hunt and perfect your groups for hunting in that configuration.

J E CUSTOM

I've heard this and that was my thought process in buying the brake. I can easily adjust for POI changes, but the group opening up surprised me. I do not have bullet contact with the brake, and it appears to be centering well, not sure if being even a little off center of the bore would affect the precision or not. Either way, my hunting loads without the brake are dialed. Already nothced my bull tag on my personal best bull in archery, so i guess antelope and muleys will be my ballistic medium this fall.

I've heard this and that was my thought process in buying the brake. I can easily adjust for POI changes, but the group opening up surprised me. I do not have bullet contact with the brake, and it appears to be centering well, not sure if being even a little off center of the bore would affect the precision or not. Either way, my hunting loads without the brake are dialed. Already nothced my bull tag on my personal best bull in archery, so i guess antelope and muleys will be my ballistic medium this fall.

Even the slightest off center brake will effect the accuracy for some reason, (I can only speculate why, because the exit gasses are unequal) The bullet has left the brake before the gases do and "Should not" be effected by the imbalance as long as it does not touch the brake.

In some of our test we found that brakes with oversized exit holes (To prevent bullet strikes in poorly installed or threaded barrels and brakes) aloud gasses to exit with the bullet. this could also be one of the reasons for poor accuracy because of its effect on the bullet.

The exit should be ,020 to .025 larger than the bullet diameter. This diameter seemed to have the best overall performance. It was found that a tighter exit did not gain any more recoil reduction or accuracy. And could effect accuracy if it was to small.

I have replaced many brakes that were effecting accuracy (Groups) and typically it was caused by
bullet strikes. But as in your case, others were not caused by bullet strikes and some method of determining why the accuracy loss.

I started building test pins that were caliber specific with a pilot that fit the bore of the rifle and a body with a .020 larger diameter to check the brake. (These are made of aluminum to prevent any bore damage). It is simply a go gauge of sorts. if it goes, it is ok if it doesn't something is wrong.
It also can show if the brake is not concentric with the bore.

The test pin is inserted into the brake and down into the rifle bore, if there is any resistant's something is wrong and the brake is removed. If it will rotate without any binding, it is also good.

At any rate, your decision to go without a brake until you figure out the problem is wise.

Good luck on your hunt

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.