Remington VSF report?

cbaker

Has anyone had the chance to hold or shoot the new VSF or VS SF II? They look pretty good in pictures, but haven't had the chance to hold or shoot one yet.

Just bought a new VSF in 308. Had it to the range yesterday and am still doing the break-in routine.
The stock is nice. Looks like a good gun for those of us who can't afford to go the custom route at the moment. A 700 short action from Brownells and a good custom barrel alone almost equal the cost of a new remmy varmint gun.
The VS-SF II is sharp looking too.

I have a VS SF 2 chambered in 220 swift and it feels a little different from the old sendero's. The palm swell is larger but has a good feel and after you hold it a few minutes the difference seems to go away. It shoots just as good as the old sendero's and it does look very sharp with the black flutes it gives it a little something extra. I am pleased with it so far ( only had it about 2 and 1/2 weeks ) with accuracy and looks. The feel only jumps out at you the first time you pick it up saying something is different and if you carry a sendero to the range with you and shoot one then go to the other the feel will jump at you again just for a second then you forget about it. I like the larger palm swell cause I have big hands so it's no big deal to me. Thats my 2 cents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The HS stock on the new VLS looks to have a longer. slightly more vertical pistol grip. is that the case? the older sender VSSF type stocks had a far to short a pistol grip for my liking and where also spept back to much, i like a straighter pistol grip.
Pete

I have a left handed VSF in 22-250 that I picked up last week. It feels good, looks good but the jury is still out in the accuracy department. The best factory load is the Remington 50 gn premier, .75 inches. It won't shoot 55 gn Nosler BT's worth a darn. A load of 41gns of H380 and a 55gn Vmax also shot .75 inches. I have an older Remington set up the same, fluted barrel and all and that is a tack driver. I can't find a load that shoots over .5 inches. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Yes Pete it's a little longer and a smidge more vertical but not enough that it bothers you if you have gotten used to the old stocks. If you didn't like the old ones then this one may satisfy you a little more. Look for one in a local shop and give it a feel to see if it's to your liking or not.

JoeD try this load. 40 grain nosler BT 38 grains of hodgdon Varget and a cci br-2 primer. Shoots .3's for me in my old 22.250. should net you about 3800 fps. If you want faster drop me an email and I have several loads that are very accurate and at or above 4000 fps but I dont recomend them as they shorten barrel life.

Thanks 7RUM. i'll be checking it out at the IWA (our EU shot show). might just be the thing i've been looking for. I take it HS make the stocks?
Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.