Left Hand Remington 700 Vsf

HOGGHEAD

I am going to put together a rifle for shooting out to 600 yards(long distance for me). It will be used mostly for ground hog hunting, but it will also be used for some deer hunting. I am considering the 260 Remington cartridge. I want to be able to see impacts. I am considering a 700 Remington VSF in LH configuration and in 308 Winchester. This should be the right bolt for my 260?? The 260 cartridge should fit in the magazine?? Does this idea sound sensible?? Any recommendations?? Or cartridge recommendations instead of the 260 Remington. I believe I would want to shoot a 140 grain bullet?? What length barrel and twist should I go for?? IMO this is enough questions. Thank You, Tom.

Answer and opinion

To answer your question before giving an opinion, I think the Remington will be a great choice to build your .260 on....if you have the right guy to build it. It will easily do everything you want. A Savage 110 flp would also be good, although many guys don't like working on those as much.

That said, I'm not sure why you would not just keep it as a .308......unless you really like or just want a .260. The .308 will certainly do all you want also....especially if you work your guns loads. I have a Savage 110 flp, and if i posted the group sizes I get with 168 gr. winchester CT ballistic Silvertips with 45.3 gr. of Varget......I would get accused of bragging. Sure does a job on groundhogs too,

However......regardless......The Remington will be a good choice.

You will not be able to spot hits with a 260, unless you brake it and make it heavier. For what you are looking for I would go with a 6br.

AW.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.