Remington vs Browning

NewB7654

Hello all. I really am torn between 2 guns and want to hear your thoughts. I just got a remington 7mm mag, model 700 SPS after tax I think about 800.00. Brand new, never shot. Somoene wants to swap that and an older shotgun for a browning high power safari 7mm mag. From the pics, it looks nice, all wood (mine is composite) seems to be clean, am told they made them in the 50's-70's. No idea how many rounds have gone through it, it's going to be heavier for sure. Just wanted your thoughts on which might be the better 7mm to own. Id be using it for hunting only, Im not into targets for fun. Is the value so much higher? I see them on various sites for 700-1200, so I dont know. What would you pick & why?

Hello all. I really am torn between 2 guns and want to hear your thoughts. I just got a remington 7mm mag, model 700 SPS after tax I think about 800.00. Brand new, never shot. Somoene wants to swap that and an older shotgun for a browning high power safari 7mm mag. From the pics, it looks nice, all wood (mine is composite) seems to be clean, am told they made them in the 50's-70's. No idea how many rounds have gone through it, it's going to be heavier for sure. Just wanted your thoughts on which might be the better 7mm to own. Id be using it for hunting only, Im not into targets for fun. Is the value so much higher? I see them on various sites for 700-1200, so I dont know. What would you pick & why?

Browning makes an excellent rifle, that being said, I don't think I'd make the trade. While those rifles are very nice, they were made back when Browning was using K98-style Mauser actions for their rifles, long before the A-Bolt and A-Bolt II action was invented. That rifle is more of a collector rifle than something I'd take out in the field and risk damaging. If you were collecting it, and putting it up and not using it, then I'd say trade him. But since you are looking for something to hunt with, I would see how that SPS shoots with handloads first. With a simple pillar install, bedding the action, and floating the barrel you will be surprised how well they can shoot. Granted, it's always a gamble with a factory barrel, but you would atleast be giving it an inexpensive chance to see how it turns out. It might surprise you. Pillars and Devcon are cheap, and floating the barrel is free if have sandpaper laying around.

If you handload, I'd give the Berger 168 VLD's a shot. They shoot awesome out of mine.

Also, if you ever want to rebarrel that SPS and build a custom rifle out of that action and bottom metal, you already have the best factory-offered platform available for customizing. You will still need to have the action trued and blueprinted, but that's the inexpensive part of it, once you already have the 700 action and bottom metal/mag setup.

Ive had an SPS before...never again. Swap as soon as you can. A far as a Mauser K98 action....who ever made one better???

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.