Remington SPS SS 270 WSM

DONTSTROKEME

I traded my Abolt in 338WM with a Leu Vari-x 2 3-9 for this rifle. Brand new in the box, gonna be great, the new long range rifle.

I got rid of the Browning because it didn't have many aftermarket parts available. And Rem has lots. This rifle needs everything that you could buy for it!!! The bottom metal is worthless, I was able to twist it by hand with the floor plate dropped, the bolt handle has a large gouge in it. I don't think that this affects it at all but looks like crap. I figured that I would try to fix up the stock and see if I could paint it and texture it on the grip areas and make it fit me better. Untill I took off the recoil pad......They put folded up packing foam in the hollow stock so that it doesn't sound hollow. Totally BS!

Then I tried to see how the action cycled with rounds..HAHAHA! It scratched the hell out of every single case feeding them. Once in the chamber the bolt was increadibly tough to close...like the bullet was seated out too far. But these were factory crimped Win loads. I pulled the bolt and it looks like the extractor was made of brass...tore the hell out of the rims.

I just don't want someont to go out and dump $650 on a rifle that they think is going to be decent. I can not belive that these cost that much???? My Abolt shot great and worked perfectly all the time..I only figured that it would be too much money to have an A5L made for it, and that I could tweak a decent Rem for less. I have not shot this yet but I am not going to expect great things from it, based on what I have found so far.

Anyone want to trade for a NIB 270 WSM??????

Joe Oakes

Joe, sorry you don't like the new gun. I got a new Rem 270 WSM in the same SPS SS. The stock wasn't any good so I bought a Bell and Carlson. Did a bit of work to make everything fit and I'd have to say that I'm very happy with the gun. Shoots and feels good. Hope things work out.
Tim G

Joe, I bought a BDL SS 300SAUM last year. The worst shooting gun that I have ever held! It shows pressure half way through the load charts, and groups inconsistantly! I would send it back to Rem. but I have already had it bedded in a B&C stock, and made trigger modifications. I should have shot it in the factory configuration before I made the modifications. The only hope for this rifle is to re-barrel and blue print, another $550 on top of the $500 I already have in it. This is the last Remington I will own!!!!

RidgeRooster

Jeez thanks for the reviews on this rifle was really considering buying one for one of my first hunting rifles. Does anyone have any suggestions about a good .270 caliber rifle that is accurate and durable? I was already thinking about getting a Browning A-Bolt or a Tikka. Please sate your thoughts on those two rifles too.

gun)Ben Bellusci gun)

Been a while since I posted that!!

Had to send it back to rem because it was swelling the rear of the case...where the belt would be....it was short chambered...sent it in----as a note never send your trigger on the rifle back to rem...came back COD for $80 for a new trigger because I narrowed the trigger so I could use a trigger shoe to make it wider----when they test fired it back at Rem they never cleaned the chips from reaming it...galled the lugs, so back again and they basicly just reblued the lugs. Now the rifle is in an ADL plastic stock and still chamberes a little hard. With my Lupy 6x M8 on it it shoots pretty good....dialed the Lupy for 575 yards on steel and hit a few one shot paint cans at 575 yards.....now it seems to shoot pretty good but is still basicly a donor action for me....got a 6.8SPC varmint barrel for it that I will have spun on and probably going to run either a T3 or an A1-3.

Cleaned up the feed rails with a little emery cloth and now it doesn't scratch the brass anymore.

PITA but now it shoots pretty good.

Gunluva

I have experience with the Browning A Bolt and the Tikka in 270 WSM. I love Browning rifles but they only put a 23 inch pencil barrel on the one I own. Now don't get me wrong it will shoot MOA, but it's realistically a 300m rifle max. The Tikka T3 has a very nice barrel and slick action. My friend uses that rifle and I have made loads from 90gr HP to 140 gr TSX that would go 3/4 MOA, less on the right days. I'm still considering a new barrel for my Browning. If you want a stock rifle probably go with the Tikka.

"SCOUTS OUT"

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.