Remington LR or Savage LR - 300 win mag

I have a .223 so this would be my one rifle for big game and target shooting. Kind of my "goto" rifle that I do most everything with. That includes long range shooting as that is something I always wanted to do and never had a rifle for it. I had a 7mm mage BAR that was my grandfathers that I just passed on to my son. I have a reloader and have no issues there. I picked the 300 win mag as it will deliver good performance down range and long distances yet the ammunition is easily available. I had to sell most of my firearms a few years ago when I lost my job. Just starting to build things up again, 1 piece at a time. I will likely get a 6.5 next unless I decide to go bigger than the 300. You never know.

Again, thanks. It is a tough call. $920 or so for the Savage online. Thats new with brake. I can get a used 700 bdl for about $450 but not a 300 win. It has wood stock and has been ported in a 7mm. I can also get a used Pre-64 m70 in a 300 win mag for less than the Savage new but it went through a house fire and would need a new stock for sure, possible a new barrel as well and that would put it well over the cost of either by a lot which would mean I would have to spend a lot less on optics.

Based on this statement get the savage.

If you are anywhere near a cabelas they have the LRH on sale $700. Or just get a sendero and call it a day. Save up some extra for optics.

I have a .223 so this would be my one rifle for big game and target shooting. Kind of my "goto" rifle that I do most everything with. That includes long range shooting as that is something I always wanted to do and never had a rifle for it. I had a 7mm mage BAR that was my grandfathers that I just passed on to my son. I have a reloader and have no issues there. I picked the 300 win mag as it will deliver good performance down range and long distances yet the ammunition is easily available. I had to sell most of my firearms a few years ago when I lost my job. Just starting to build things up again, 1 piece at a time. I will likely get a 6.5 next unless I decide to go bigger than the 300. You never know.

If you are just starting out, you could go for a varmint rifle in .308 or even .243, just to get use to things. Your son could shoot it and it would be cheap and easy to load and shoot. These cartridge can teach you how to shoot in the wind and get the basis of long range shooting down before jumping up to a long range magnum. Just an idea that worked well for me.

I think its a wash. The remington has better stock options and better trigger options. But the accu trigger is good to the point I dont think it needs to be replaced. But if you look at the savage, say you dont like the bolt knob, buy a new one for 30 bucks and bolt it on. If you wanted a fulted bolt go buy one for 80 bucks and bolt it on. Say eventually you decided to go from a 300 win to a 6.5x284. Just order a barrel from any number of manufactures and a new bolt head and your ready to go. Cant do that with a remington. Only down side to a savage right now is stock options. Any new stock I order will be a manners and they will make you whatever you want so that is a non issue for me.

stock options are not half as bad as some would like to think. You just gotta put your nose to the ground. The real issue with me is scope bases and scope length. A long action Savage is pretty long, and that seriously makes your options shorter. I would use nothing but a dowel pinned rail mount.
gary

I have not had any experience with the remmy, I have had the savage lrh or actually 3 of them now and not for good reasons. First one i bought from a guy on here and it was a lemon and I think he knew it. Anywho the holes on the top of the receiver were very badly aligned with the barrel and couldnt get a scope to come over enough to zero. Sent the rifle off and savage sent me a brand new one. Got the new one and it shot really well for about 200 rds or so. Then not sure what happened but it started having pressure issues with not hot loads. Took it to the smith and he couldnt figure it out even tried some factory loads and it blew the primers. Checked the headspace, bolt, everything has been checked and nothing is out of wack. So on to rifle #3. This one is getting sold brand new and im going to build on a remmy.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts