300 win mag or 7 WSM for LR elk

silvercreekguide

I just got a Savage 110 LA (just action and bolt) for a pretty good price and was wondering what barrel to screw on to it. It will be a carry gun for elk out to 1000 yards. The barrel will be a savage varmit contour and it will be 28" for the 300WM or 26" for the 7WSM. I will be using berger 180gr in the 7wsm and berger 210 or 215gr ing the 300wm.

I have had several 300 win mags so I know how they do on elk out to 1053 yards, and of course read BROZ info on them as well. I have not been able to find much on the 7WSM except over on accurate shooter. Does anyone have any info for performance on the 7wsm at long range on elk? Which would you choose and why?

Thanks a bunch

Mike

The 300 win-mostly cause I'm like those kids on the commercial-Which is better more or less? Using comparable bullets as your doing, in basically the same rifle configuration the question in my mind is do you keep on with what you say has been reliable for you, or try something new.

7mmSTW.....It was designed for long range big game hunting, and does so with extreme prejudice with some hot handloads, and 160 Accubonds, 168 Berger VLD's, or 180 Berger VLD's. :D

If you do go this route, I can hook you up with some load info for all of the above.

For Elk, the 168 VLD's will probably be your best bet, with minumum meat damage.

The release of the 195 Bergers might be a game changer. But with the selection of current bullets available, the 300 win is the best choice for 1000 yard elk. Not that the 7 won't do it, but why not hit em with more lead, energy and less drift.

Jeff

The 300 win-mostly cause I'm like those kids on the commercial-Which is better more or less? ......

^^^ That good stuff right there, I needed a laugh this morning. I agree.

The release of the 195 Bergers might be a game changer. But with the selection of current bullets available, the 300 win is the best choice for 1000 yard elk. Not that the 7 won't do it, but why not hit em with more lead, energy and less drift.

Jeff

Which bolt face and feed rails do you have? That might help you narrow it down. If its set up for the 300WM, can the style of bolt you have be modified or changed (I don't know much about the savage action) to accept the WSM case? How about the feed rails?

If you already have a standard magnum face, have you considered a 7mm Rem mag? Or STW?

Either way, I'd choose the 300. Heavier bullets + bigger hole. That said, either would get it done.

Which bolt face and feed rails do you have? That might help you narrow it down. If its set up for the 300WM, can the style of bolt you have be modified or changed (I don't know much about the savage action) to accept the WSM case? How about the feed rails?

Either way, I'd choose the 300. Heavier bullets + bigger hole. That said, either would get it done.

That is one of the cool factors of the Savage, push out retaining pin, pull off the bolt head, insert the new head & put the pin back in. Very easy to change. The feed rails might be an issue, I didn't consider that.

t

If your going with a custom barrel and the gun has a 300WM boat face and mag.. I would look at a post for the 7mm-300wm. It was a great post and with a 28 inch barrel it sounds like the best of both worlds for the 7mm. Something that pushes the 180 over 3000 easy and does not burn out barrels. If I would have not ordered my 7mm rem mag barrel already I would have be contacting some of the guys to try to find were I could get the 7mm-300wm barrel made up. Everything I read about this cal sounded great and with the 195's I suspect it will be even better and from the post you dont have to worry about the barrel going south after about 500 rounds like the 7RUM. But do a search and check out the post...It was a great read.

Thanks everyone! I think I am going to get a 300 win mag barrel again. I like the fact that I can have the option to shoot bullets over 200gr. And I already have everything to reload it.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.