Remington issues a recall for rifles with their X-mark triggers

Unbelievable -

I am heading to the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska the last week of May for Black Bear.

Trip is all paid for - what are my options at this point?

How long will Remmy take to get this done?

I have no other rifles...........

CD

North Carolina.
have a local 'smith look the trigger over then if you really feel it is a danger... I'm either waiting for a few months for rem. to catch up or replacing the trigger at a later time... I'm just going to shoot my rifle until then as it already has proven safe for a couple of hundred rounds.

... I'm just going to shoot my rifle until then as it already has proven safe for a couple of hundred rounds.

You shouldn't assume it has been been proven safe because it hasn't misfired to this point, you should assume its defective and handle it accordingly if you are going to shoot it.

You shouldn't assume it has been been proven safe because it hasn't misfired to this point, you should assume its defective and handle it accordingly if you are going to shoot it.
If there isn't a round in the chamber until you are ready to pull the trigger it matters not... also if you observe safe gun handling rules it helps a good bit, especially the one about pointing the dang thing in a safe direction. I don't trust triggers or safeties anymore at all. I had a rifle jamb up with a hot round in the pipe a couple of years ago when the rifle fell because the safety was a foolish design. I've also seen remmy (walker) triggers not pass the moron test of how to adjust them safely and had to re-adjust them.

Gentlemen;

Before we cast anymore stones at one another we should assume none to be fools. A simple first echelon safety check of the trigger will tell you if there is a problem. My understanding is the potting compound may have been done sloppy. A good look with a magnifying glass and flashlight should help. And I believe Lefty is correct that if there was a problem it should show up in a couple hundred rounds. Not would but should.

Ideally returning the rifle to Remington is preferred but not all of the triggers have failed, only some. Check it out Lefty. Not much to a trigger. A buger of epoxy should be easy to spot. If the trigger passes a first echelon, holds 3lbs, and has a decent engagement then it is safe. Put a caliper from the front of the trigger and the back of the trigger guard and measure the distance to let off. Compare to a known trigger. No goop, 3lbs and sufficient travel means safe for now.

What do you think Remington is doing?

KB

Gentlemen;

Before we cast anymore stones at one another we should assume none to be fools. A simple first echelon safety check of the trigger will tell you if there is a problem. My understanding is the potting compound may have been done sloppy. A good look with a magnifying glass and flashlight should help. And I believe Lefty is correct that if there was a problem it should show up in a couple hundred rounds. Not would but should.

Ideally returning the rifle to Remington is preferred but not all of the triggers have failed, only some. Check it out Lefty. Not much to a trigger. A buger of epoxy should be easy to spot. If the trigger passes a first echelon, holds 3lbs, and has a decent engagement then it is safe. Put a caliper from the front of the trigger and the back of the trigger guard and measure the distance to let off. Compare to a known trigger. No goop, 3lbs and sufficient travel means safe for now.

What do you think Remington is doing?

KB
Kenny, I think you're spot-on with your assessment. Privided nothing is wrong in a few hundred rounds, I would say the trigger is most likely NOT one of the ones they are looking for.

Just simply my opinion, but I also hate the XMP's as a "lawyer-safe" ***. I think Remington should have never strayed from the old-style flat-back wide-shoe triggers with the gold shoe. Not a **** thing wrong with them once they are fully tuned by someone who really knows what they are doing.

Only reason they strayed was because of idiots not knowing what they're doing commencing to doing "trigger jobs" on ries they should have never been "working on" in the first place. Any moron can twist some screws with the right wrench...Doesn't mean they know jack-crap about what they're doing, or making it safe for the end user.

I DO know what I'm doing, but I rarely do trigger jobs for anyone who isn't a VERY close friend, and even then, I give them a verbal warning before-hand letting them know that anytime anyone (pro or not) messes with their trigger it has the potential to act up, whether a factory trigger or aftermarket.

Regardless of company or nature of the voluntary recall, the end user has the ultimate decision and responsibility to:

1. Comply with the recall

or

2. Ignore the recall.

Both decisions has consequences associated with it ... and again, the end-user has the ultimate responsibility to face it. lightbulb

Regardless of company or nature of the voluntary recall, the end user has the ultimate decision and responsibility to:

or

2. Ignore the recall.

Both decisions has consequences associated with it ... and again, the end-user has the ultimate responsibility to face it. lightbulb

So, you're inferring that by replacing my factory piece of junk XMP with a better unit, instead of risking putting my rifle on a brown truck, in the hands of others who don't care what's in your package and treat it like a basketball, while sending it back to Remington to have them "look at it and possibly replace it" and get my gun back 6 months from now with an identical *** trigger that is deemed "good to go", is somehow being an irresponsible individual???

So, you're inferring that by replacing my factory piece of junk XMP with a better unit, instead of risking putting my rifle on a brown truck, in the hands of others who don't care what's in your package and treat it like a basketball, while sending it back to Remington to have them "look at it and possibly replace it" and get my gun back 6 months from now with an identical *** trigger that is deemed "good to go", is somehow being an irresponsible individual???

Feenix is capable of answering for himself, but if that's what he said I missed it. The basic fact of life is choices have consequences and responsibilities.

Remington has made a choice that minimizes both for them. Quite frankly they have been making this same choice for most of my life. This is only the most recent chapter. They make the choice that marketing and volume, will overcome the engineering and liability, and they make money.

Last week a clerk offered to show me a model 7, I asked after I replace the safety, the trigger, and the extractor, What exactly am I buying? That's my choice.

Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post

So you chose to ignore the recall, that's your choice to make ... your decision making is done, now move on. I can't help you on the interpretation part; you're on your with that!

Feenix is capable of answering for himself, but if that's what he said I missed it. The basic fact of life is choices have consequences and responsibilities.

Remington has made a choice that minimizes both for them. Quite frankly they have been making this same choice for most of my life. This is only the most recent chapter. They make the choice that marketing and volume, will overcome the engineering and liability, and they make money.

Last week a clerk offered to show me a model 7, I asked after I replace the safety, the trigger, and the extractor, What exactly am I buying? That's my choice.

HARPERC,

Bingo! You're absolutely right on. If you look at my response ...

or

2. Ignore the recall.

... it has nothing to do with the subject matter (it could very well apply to the GM or Toyota recalls) but rather a decision making choice one has to make ... it's as simple as that but as long as human factors (i.e.. opinions, emotions, etc ...) are involved, it will always complicate things.

What we do with those choices is entirely up us, the end users!

Last edited:

You are buying a great rifle. The trigger and safety is one mechanism, so don't separate those. There has not been an issue with the extractor.

Yes, it is your choice. I am not going to say your wrong. But I and my kids are very happy with our Model 7.

GO 7mm-08!!!

The important part. Engineering discussions aside, your choices how you accomplish it, are respectfully yours.
I had a custom built off a Model 7 chambered in .308 Win, in an HS Pro2000 Varminter stock, and a Jewell trigger, that would literally put 3 shots into the same hole at 100 yards.

So, I would say your opinion of a Model 7 being junk because the trigger is crappy is about the lamest excuse I've ever heard.

But it's yours.

I had a custom built off a Model 7 chambered in .308 Win, in an HS Pro2000 Varminter stock, and a Jewell trigger, that would literally put 3 shots into the same hole at 100 yards.

So, I would say your opinion of a Model 7 being junk because the trigger is crappy is about the lamest excuse I've ever heard.

But it's yours.

Yes, the subject is a combination of a legitimate genuine concern and and in some cases an agenda and in some cases even both.

Are you making my point for me? LOL! I've had my share of Remington bolt action customs that got that way replacing parts until everything worked myself.

I may even do it again, given the lack of response from some the custom actions makers I've got un returned messages from, and I've got a 700 undesignated in the safe.

If you've had good luck with Remington stick with them, I'm still waiting for that out of the box satisfied feeling from one.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.