Remington bolt lock

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Varmint Hunter, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

I'm considering the purchase of a Remington LSS in 338 RUM and noticed that it has the infamous J lock or bolt lock on the rear cover. I remember something discussed regarding the J locks and bound firing pin springs. Is this something that really needs to be changed or is it something that most of you just live with?

I

2. Gunpoor

Gunpoor Well-Known Member

VH, like you I had heard all the negative stuff about the J-lock on Remington rifles, and I had a Remington SenderoSF with the lock. I unlocked the action after I left the shop where I bought it new and never used it again and also never had a problem with it. This is the only rifle I have ever had with the lock so I don't have a broad base to draw from. I had the Sendero for about 8 or 10 years and forgot about the lock .

3. wild weasel

wild weasel Member

i have a Sendero 300RUM that came with the J-Lock. never had any issues with it but have heard of guys that have. i replaced it with the original style from Holland's gunsmithing and it is easy enough to swap out. Now i don't have to worry about something going wrong with it. PM me if you have any questions.