Remington Barrel?

ndeining

I have a Remington Sendero SF II in 300 RUM. I have had trouble developing a load for the 185 gr./210 gr. Bergers that will shoot sub MOA but the 155 Berger will shoot around half MOA for 5 shots. The local gunsmith says that Remington factory barrels are very rough and some of them do not shoot well. When I look at the bore I can see what seems to be small ridges that run perpendicular to the rifling so I see what he means. He recommends either Lilja or Krieger barrels as a replacement. Any recommendations for which brand of barrel? I would like to shoot the 210 Berger and obviously I want accuracy. Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks.

A barrel from any of the custom makers is just that ,,,, custom. One is no better than another. Each and every one makes a bad one occasionally. They make alot more good ones than bad ones. Take your pick. Any recommendation of a particular brand will just be personal preferance of the person making the recommendation. The quality of the work done after the blank is received,,, the threading, chambering, & crowning,,,, will have more bearing to this question, than "which brand of custom barrel?" does.

Last edited:
I concur with the above statements.
Kreiger, Bartlien, Lilja, Broughton, Shilen... the list goes on.

There are a few that I would place a notch down on the list. Since I haven't tried them, I won't point fingers.

I would also add that almost any decent custom barrel chambered and installed correctly will exceed the capabilities of your average factory barrel for large run production rifles.

JMHO
-- richard

I will agree with the others regarding custom barrels. Regarding the remington barrel you should see what is in some of those barrels with a borescope.

Well maybe you shouldn't....I have a bore scope and have had many entertaining views of all my friend's and my own barrels. I have a couple of nasty looking remingtons and one 308 SS barrel of unknown manufacturer I got used. I have been learning how to chamber and install my own barrels and have been using these barrels to refine my skills before I buy the expensive customs.

I have a rem barrel with a tiny S imprinted into the rifling. It looks like some foreign substance found its way on to the mandrel when it was hammer forged. It doesn't affect accuracy at all! The previously mentioned 308 barrel has several pits that are large and look like street potholes but it shoots 1/2" groups at 200 yds! It doesn't even foul around these pits.

The small lines/grooves running 90 degrees to the rifling in your rem barrel are reamer marks. They tend to smooth out some and don't seem to interfere with accuracy that I can find. They could cause more fouling but again it may and it may not.

I would say shoot your rifle as it is, it does shoot the 155s well so it proves it isn't a bad barrel. You might try some hybrid bullets. Your sendaro should be able to shoot even the heaviest offering.

I just rechambered a 24" SS 300 win mag to 300 RUM as one of my practice pieces. It took some small bullet seating changes to get it to shoot but it shoots the 230 gr target hybrid into tiny clusters at 2860 fps. Inspection of the bore during the cleaning shows it does tend to lay down a pretty good layer of copper around 4" from the muzzle. It just takes more soaking with boretech eliminator and a little Iosso to get it spotless. Otherwise this rem takeoff is a shooter.

I'd say shoot this barrel till it fouls so badly that it becomes a chore to clean or it begins to loose velocity and accuracy then rebarrel.

Thanks for the info guys. Ill just shoot the barrel that I have out and figure out what I want when the time comes I guess. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.