Remington 7MM 700P for 600 yd hunting?

mkmiller1

First off, Merry Christmas!
Here is my scenario, I live in South Arkansas and mainly hunt whitetail deer and a hog when I see one. I hunt a powerline in which I can shoot about 1200 yds(600 each way). This wasn't a problem when my kids hunted a lot but now that it is mainly just me other than weekends I can't cover the whole powerline. I currently hunt with my dad's ole bone stock 700ADL in 30-06 with a 4.5-14 Nikon and have shot deer out to just over 300 with it. It holds about MOA with a cold barrel. My question is I have found a 700P in 7MM(about 6yrs old) that is in super shape with low round count(less than 100)that can be bought for $700 and I have a zeiss 5-25x50 that I could put on it. While most of my shots won't be at 600(more like 500 or less) would this be a good investment or is there something I'm overlooking? There are also several guys I work with that have 800yd+ guns and it would be nice to shoot with them sometimes in the 5-700yd range. Any and all opinions are welcome. Thanks, Matthew

First off, Merry Christmas!
Here is my scenario, I live in South Arkansas and mainly hunt whitetail deer and a hog when I see one. I hunt a powerline in which I can shoot about 1200 yds(600 each way). This wasn't a problem when my kids hunted a lot but now that it is mainly just me other than weekends I can't cover the whole powerline. I currently hunt with my dad's ole bone stock 700ADL in 30-06 with a 4.5-14 Nikon and have shot deer out to just over 300 with it. It holds about MOA with a cold barrel. My question is I have found a 700P in 7MM(about 6yrs old) that is in super shape with low round count(less than 100)that can be bought for $700 and I have a zeiss 5-25x50 that I could put on it. While most of my shots won't be at 600(more like 500 or less) would this be a good investment or is there something I'm overlooking? There are also several guys I work with that have 800yd+ guns and it would be nice to shoot with them sometimes in the 5-700yd range. Any and all opinions are welcome. Thanks, Matthew

The 7mm rem mag is definitely up to 800 yard hunting and more, if the rifles accuracy is good.

I would recommend 160 to 180 grain bullets. The 140s will do it but the wind becomes an issue at 500 + yards.

Set up right they make great 1000 yard match rifles.

J E CUSTOM

Great rifle. secret service used them for a while according to article in preicision shooting. basically a sendero.

Thanks for the info. guys. Ready to get it, maybe break it, put glass on it, and shoot it!!! Will probably start out with some sierra game kings until I get setup to reload.

mk- i adjust the trigger ( remington crisp) . clean it and put one of those good scopes on it. i have ony shot a few 180 berger , did not have break at the time. too much recoil. went to 168's have not found anything better. i use re-19, wlrm and nosler brass. most on here use H-1000 or retumbo. i have shot the 140 accubond, great accuracy. out of my 700 sporter the 139 horn and 69 grain of h-4831( lon g cut) , at that speed it has been deadly on elk and big deer. have not shot the LR AB.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.