Remington 770 ???

VLD Pilot

Won a model 770 in 7mm mag. Stainless/camo. Looks cheap. Feels cheap. Is it cheap ??? Definitely an economy version of a 700 or even a 783. Just curious if it's worth keeping around or giving as a gift to a family member ? Thanks.

I never owned one but handled a few to know that I wouldn't own one. I had the same impression as you do of them.

They dont even make them anymore, I read a review of them once-- they said the only 2 things that didn't suck were the safety and trigger

Yes the barrel is press fit, and they use plastic at the rear of the action iirc

I'd put on arms list and take what ever cash you can get out of it.

Won a model 770 in 7mm mag. Stainless/camo. Looks cheap. Feels cheap. Is it cheap ??? Definitely an economy version of a 700 or even a 783. Just curious if it's worth keeping around or giving as a gift to a family member ? Thanks.

Its cheap. i have shot a few of them but never owned one - everybody's situation is a little different. At one time in my life I would have loved to have any bolt action hunting rifle, regardless of the quality. At this point if it were me, I would gift it to somebody who needs one and can't afford it or something like that.

My son's friend had one, the bolt would stick. The rear action screw had pulled out of the plastic. The press fit barrel scares me. Said he paid around $300, couldn't get $200 when he sold it. The no-name scope and the rings it came with were very poor. At the time he couldn't afford to spend more, but a year later we got him into a nice Savage with nice rings and a decent Vortex scope for about $400.

You might want to load some light loads or buy some reduced recoil rounds for it. A keep a loaner\truck gun. It's a 25/06. Seems like most people that need to borrow a loaner are ones that don't shoot much so light recoil is a plus.

You might want to load some light loads or buy some reduced recoil rounds for it. A keep a loaner\truck gun. It's a 25/06. Seems like most people that need to borrow a loaner are ones that don't shoot much so light recoil is a plus.
Well it will be the loaner I have. Usually it's a family member that asks. I happen to have some fairly light deer loads for a 7mag boxed up. About 30-06 power range. They are 150s and would be perfect. Used them in another 7 I own. Happen to have about 100 rounds left. Borrowing a rifle is usually all that happens. Never been asked to use ammo. I would suggest what to buy based on game hunted. Borrowed a 338 win mag for an elk hunt to a friend. He bought his own ammo for that hunt. Tough to make a 338(Even a Win mag) shoot with low recoil. Even with 210s. This 770 will be Taylor made for a loaner.

It was supposed to say--- I keep a loaner--dang auto correct! Sounds like a great loaner to me- wish I could win one someday. Congratulations!

I have the 770 in .243 cal Stainless and polymer stock. Same comments on the bolt, but it freed up a bit with some work. I didn't try vinegar though, maybe I will. Very accurate rifle. No complaints, especially for the price.
Not sure why they can't still make the bolt smooth like on my 700, but I bought it in the mid 70's back when US quality was unrivaled.

They dont even make them anymore, I read a review of them once-- they said the only 2 things that didn't suck were the safety and trigger

Yes the barrel is press fit, and they use plastic at the rear of the action iirc

I'd put on arms list and take what ever cash you can get out of it.

Yes the barrel is pressed in and pined and the reason is that the barrel has the recoil lugs machined in to the barrel and the bolt engages directly in the barrel. (The action does not have any recoil lugs for the bolt to engage in) so there is no real stress on the barrel connection.

It works much like the AR with a barrel extension for the bolt to engage in. The barrel extension is threaded on to the barrel and needs these threads for strength. The 770 lugs don't because they are machined in the barrel it's self.

In my opinion, this is a very poor way to build a rifle and there reputation for poor accuracy is understandable. You ether get an good one or most of the time you don't. Any barrel work is out of the question. from time gun makers come up with some poorly designed weapon's and this is one of them in my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.