Remington 700 SS scraping brass

Vamike9

I have a Remington 700 stainless less than a few months old that I just recently noticed was scraping the brass casings when I loaded ammo in the magazine and cycled the bolt. I had a Remington repair shop polish the feed ramp, magazine lips, as well as the magazine box edges, however it's still leaving a very light scratch on the brass when I cycle the action with the bolt. My question is, is this normal? Also, would lightly scratching the brass hurt anything? I should probably also mention that when ammunition is not loaded into the mag box there are no scratches present when I cycle bolt. It's really only one light scratch alongside the brass after it was sent in for repair.

It used to be deeper before I sent it back for repair.However after they polished the feed ramps, feed lips, and magazine box the scratch is not easily felt with fingertips anymore. .

It's probably okay to use then. If you want to figure out what's causing it you'll have to break down the steps the cartridge takes while chambering and extracting. Do one step and inspect the case, and repeat.

Yes I went through a procedure to find out what was scraping it, however, it was difficult to tell. So when I sent it in I thought they would fix it entirely but it is leaving a small scratch still. I didn't really think it would be a problem just wanted to verify with someone more knowledgeable than I about gunsmithing. Thank you for your time and concern.

Take a case and rub it with a magic marker all over then carefully shove it into the magazine check to see if the scratch is present when stripped out of the magazine by the bolt. If it does not have a scratch, put another case in first and then put the marked case in. This way you can see if the right or left lip is doing the scratch. once you identify the lip that is scratching the case check for a sharp place on the lip. If it is a BDL with the floor plate just open the magazine an take a small Arkansas stone and rub the sharp edge down. If it is an ADL series Pull the stock so you can work the area with out the follower being in your way. Maintain the lip angel and just smooth the sharp place out. And then run the stone very light to smooth the knife edge of the lip. Stone slow and check progress often. Good Luck

It is a bdl type with the drop hinged plate on the bottom. Also took the magazine box out and put another in and it was still scraping with the new magazine box. It does not leave any scrapes on the casing if I don't put it in the internal magazine box and just push it into the chamber with the bolt only. I am going to try the magic marker to see if I can see where it's making contact, thanks.

I used the magic marker to rub on the case to see where its contacting. I don't see black on any feed lips or anything else. It leaves a thin scratch the length of the casing so I would figure that it is coming from the front somewhere. I used some very fine sandpaper and lightly polished the feed lips, however I still see little or no improvement. The scratch is not really felt with finger tips but I don't like not knowing where it's coming from, possibly right before the chamber area. Here's a photo of the scrape, thanks.

Attachments

• 2015-09-19 17.24.46.jpg
    2015-09-19 17.24.46.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 232
I used the magic marker to rub on the case to see where its contacting. I don't see black on any feed lips or anything else. It leaves a thin scratch the length of the casing so I would figure that it is coming from the front somewhere. I used some very fine sandpaper and lightly polished the feed lips, however I still see little or no improvement. The scratch is not really felt with finger tips but I don't like not knowing where it's coming from, possibly right before the chamber area. Here's a photo of the scrape, thanks.

If you are NOT happy with the fix attempt, send it back for repairs until you are satisfied. Hopefully, this is not your only rifle, otherwise wait until after the hunting season but keep Remington posted though.

Good luck!

You mention it dosnt do it when you cycle a round with the magazine box out. It could be the edge of the bolt. All my cases get a slight mark from the bolt as it slides across the round in the magazine as a new one is being fed in the chamber but its nothing to worry about

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.