remington 700 police

tucker44

thinking about buying this gun in 308 for long range shooting... but i need a good scope thsat will reach out there... lookin for a scope in the 3 - 400 dolar range... any suggestions???

get the 7mm or the 300 win pss. I wish I had the 308 is a great LR round but as far as 30cals go you the 300 is much better and you cant beat the BC on thouse 7mm. As far as the scope goes I have a Horus Vision Falson on one of my rilfes and I am very happy with it. I think you would be happy with the Super Sniper as well.

If your just going to punch paper then 308 is a great choice, but if you get hooked on this stuff like I did you will be happy you went with the longer action off the bat.

The two rounds I mentioned offer more power at longer range and less bullet drop. They both come in the PSS model rifle. If you are planing to hunt big game at extended ranges the 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag would be a better choice IMO.

The 300 win has the same bullet choices for handloaders as the 308 win but it pushes them all allot further ,faster and flater then the 308 win will.

The 7mm offers everything the 300 win does but with bullets that have a much higher BC than most 30 cals do in most cases.

The trade offs to the magnums however is allot more felt recoil and a little more costley to reload.

Just my thoughts I know you were just asking about scopes but I was board. Check out thesamplelist.com for good demo scopes

I have a Rem. 700 PSS in .308 and it is a good all around cartridge. Since you asked about the scope, it all depends on how far you want to shoot, how good your eyesight is, etc. I have a Leupold 4.5x14x40mm Tatical and when I'm target shooting (paper punching) and have time to dial up on a game, I'll move it to 14x power. Sometimes I don't feel it's enough for longer ranges, but in a ideal hunting situation, you usually don't want to high of a power.

If your going to hunt big game up to several hundred yards, then you could possibly buy a Super Sniper in 10x power. If you want some more magnification, then you can go with a 20x power, but you'll have less of a field of view. You can also check on several websites to catch good deals on variable power scopes that may fall into your price range.

I agree that the 308 isn't the greatest long range hunting caliber. Not enough punch way out there. 300 Win is tough to beat. I have a 300 RUM and love it.

my gun started out as a 700pss 300rum. I originally wanted a 308 win pss, but I found a 300 rum pss for $525 at a Gander mountain, so I bought it. I later re-barreled it to a 308, and hated it because my range was limited. I later had it re-reamed to 300 wsm. I've took this gun out to 1500 yards. As far as glass I recommend buying a VXII or VXIII from leupold custom shop w/ the target turrets. for paper punching out to about 900 yards or so you'll be fine. But once you start making hits consistently at 900 you'll want to go farther and farther.

Tucker44,
These guys are right on the money with the advice they've given you. The .308Win, while a good LR cartridge, leaves a little to be desired at longer ranges. Yeah, yeah, I know our snipers used/use it, it's inherently accurate, mild in recoil, plenty of factory ammo choices, plenty of reloading data, etc. BUT.....compared to the 7mmRM and .300Win Mag (great LR cartridges), it is anemic. In the right hands the .308 will perform miraculously out to 1K. I think the "right" bullet must be chosen to keep it stabilized past certain yardages. It may be just the rifle/cartridge you need if you're just starting out with LR target/hunting.
The RUM's are "more" of a "good thing". For some, too much.
The $3-400 range for scopes will limit you. The guys who talk about the SuperSnipers seem to be well pleased with them. I try to stear clear of Tasco products, but I may check these out if I get a chance. The Bushnell Elite series would fit in this category if you could find a deal. Not sure how much adjustments either one of these have. A scope mount with built-in MOA would alleviate any problems associated with these scope short comings. There are some good deals out there to be had, you just have to be patient and look/wait for them. JohnnyK.

I havent personally dealt with Super Sniper scopes, but I do agree that the Bushnell Elite scopes are a pretty good bang for buck.

Also I have a Vortex Viper 6.5X20X50 that I am very impressed with... 30mm tube, side paralax, turrets (I have not test repeatbility yet) and great optical clarity sells for about $490 for the money I dont think you can go wrong.

Oh and I forgot to mention, I do also agree with the others .308 is a great caliber, but you may want to seriously look at what you are going to be doing with it. I have a 300 RUM Sendero and fully recomend it to anyone asks

if u dont like the set power of the super sniper i would try the bushnell 3200 tactical.the variable they make is a 5-15X with i believe a 40mm objective.i havent personally had a 3200 but i have the 4200 6-24 50mm and i love it.it tracks good and has taken beatings and never lost zero.i believe u can get the 3200 tactical for around $350-370.they make a set 10X for around $200 that i have heard some good things about but if u go with set power in that price range i would go with the super sniper.good luck!

just bought a rem 700sps in a 308 BBL rifle and i threw on a 10X40X50mm Osprey 10 - 40x50 mm Long Range Tactical Scope, Matte Black with a harris bipod and a uncle mikes Neoprene Buttstock Shell Holders and a tactical sling i put about $1,000 in everything so i was wondering if i should throw on a .308 VORTEX FLASH HIDER threw brownells and what ammo should i use. I just can't wait to go and shoot the thing it's going to be great

best of luck

Charles H Mousseau JR gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.