Remington 700 FS 7mm Rem Mag

willtim

I am going to rebarrel my 7mmRM. I will not shoot a bullet smaller than 165 grains. I hope to be able to workup an accurate load for a 175 grain Nosler Partition. What twist rate should I get? Thanks.

I am going to rebarrel my 7mmRM. I will not shoot a bullet smaller than 165 grains. I hope to be able to workup an accurate load for a 175 grain Nosler Partition. What twist rate should I get? Thanks.
A partition does not need a lot of twist but I would put a 9 on it which will shoot most 7 mm bullets. Some go 8 twist with the really new high b c bullets.

Thanks. I see some barrel manufacturers make an 8.4 twist. Am I splitting hairs?
If you ever wanted to shoot something like the 184 Sierra, the 8.4 would be necessary but otherwise a 9" is just fine. Some will probably say an 8.4 won't hurt but again, unnecessary and will build pressure a LITTLE faster.
P.S. if you decided to ever run one of the long monos, you would need the faster twist too!

Is there a reason you would not want a 1:8. I see a lot of people doing 1:8 for the heavies. Honest question just trying to learn what the disadvantage would be if you have no intentions to run light pills.

Sorry to hijack your thread Willtim but I have a question. With my 7 RM with a 1 in 9 I can shoot 120gr up to 175gr that I have worked up loads for, have not tried 180's and provably won't in the life of thia barrel.

But will eventually need to rebarrel my Rem 700 and I would like to shoot 180gr pills in the future once I finish up all the bullets I have, but, can you shoot 120gr pills with a 1 in 8? I would think the 140gr wont be an issue but curious if the 120gr will work?

My lh 7mmstw (shilen) and lh 7rum (brux) are both wearing 8" twist barrels... I can get plenty of speed and accuracy on a 8, so why would I slow down to a 9 or 10" twist. My 7stw is shooting 140AB's with rl25 and netting 3340 fps and running 1/2 moa if I do my part. I'm working with 168-180 grain pills with my (new) 7rum and she seems to like the 180 sierra with retumbo.

As to 120's, I don't see why an 8" twist would be an issue in a smaller chambering like the 7rem; I have run them to 4,000 fps in a 7rum on a 9" twist without bullet failure.

My lh 7mmstw (shilen) and lh 7rum (brux) are both wearing 8" twist barrels... I can get plenty of speed and accuracy on a 8, so why would I slow down to a 9 or 10" twist. My 7stw is shooting 140AB's with rl25 and netting 3340 fps and running 1/2 moa if I do my part. I'm working with 168-180 grain pills with my (new) 7rum and she seems to like the 180 sierra with retumbo.

As to 120's, I don't see why an 8" twist would be an issue in a smaller chambering like the 7rem; I have run them to 4,000 fps in a 7rum on a 9" twist without bullet failure.

Thanks Lefty

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts