Remington 700 Action (270 Winchester)?

samson

I currently have a Remington 700 Action laying around and am thinking of building another rifle. It came off of my 270 Winchester. What would I need to do to make it shoot a 308? I wasnt sure if you could even shoot a short action cartridge out of a long action.

This subject has been touched on before.

Alot of guys will use a long action to build a typical short action round rifle on , one of the reasons is that you will be able to seat some of the realy long high BC bullets out realy far to make the most out of your case space. For instance if you wanted to shoot a 190gr Berger out of a regular short action built 308 you would have to seat alot of that bullet down in the case to make it feed from the magizine or get that sleek bullet out far enough to touch the lands where most LR bullets like to be seated.
Seeing that you action is already setup for the standared case size it should feed from the mag with no problem.

I've seen guys build 284base cased guns on short action and kick thems selves becasue they cant seat the heavy bullet out to far, this also happens alot with guys that want a 6mm Rem to shoot the long 100gr class match bullets , any of the 7x57 case family rounds work alot better from a long action with heavy bullets.

I second what Jones says. If you don't have a use for it I'll buy it from you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.