Winchester 270 vs Remington 7mm-08

400bull

I need some quick feedback. During my lunch break today I am going to head down to the local sporting goods store to purchase my 12 year old boy his first rifle. I had my mind set on getting him a Browning X-bolt in the 7mm-08 until I stopped in the store last Saturday and seen that they had a Browning X-bolt 270 on sale for a $100.00 buck less than the 7mm-08. Now I am wondering if I should get him the 270 instead. I currently reload for the 270 I would save myself an additional $100-$150.00 bucks in dies and brass if I go with the 270. So now I am leaning towards the 270 but the 7mm-08 still interests me with something new to play with. The rifle will be primarily used for big game hunting (mule deer, antelope, and elk). Recoil is not an issue as I have had my boy out shooting my 270 on a several occasions. I even took him out once shooting clay pigeons where we had to use some of my waterfowl 3" mags because I left the other at home. So I know that he can handle the recoil for ether caliber. Between the two calibers tell me what you think the good, bad and ugly would be for each caliber?

Thanks

400bull

I have both a .270 and a .308. When you run the numbers they are balistically nearly identical. The 7mm might have better high BC bullet options than either a .308 or .277 but the .308 sized case can't take advantage of those long heavy bullets the way a 7mm Rem Mag can. If you want something different I'd say get the 7mm-08 but since you could save on components and dies I'd say stick with the .308. If you both shoot the same bullet it will make calling wind etc. identical for the both of you which might make practice easier. Personally I am keeping my .308 and wondering what to change my .270 in to. I'd like to go to a 7mm Mag as that is the most significant performance jump I can see with a standard Remington 700 long action. The .308 length short action rifles do seem a bit handier when carrying but that could be in my head. Might balance better for a kid though.

That's a long winded way of saying flip a coin as a deer probably won't be able to tell the difference.

I would say it wouldn't make a huge difference... until you put in the word "elk." While the 7mm-08 (and 308 and 243) can all kill elk I'd easily vote for the 270 if you are truly going to go after larger game. This is where the extra 200-300 fps and 200-300 foot pounds can make all the difference.

And, as noted, you'll save money with the 270.

Take the .270. It has multible advantages, higher velocity and higher ballistic coeffcients for standard bullet weights and mangable recoil. Good at longer ranges due to these facts. With the right bullet it can take all but the heaviest and dangerous animals in North America. Plus it is a good varmit round with a lighter bullet. My dad has used one since 1948 and I learned plus used one since 1976. Just my thoughts. MEV

Last edited:
A buddy of mine was In close the same boat you are in except he owned a 7mm-08 and he was going get his son the same untill he found the 270 was on sale. Anyways, he picked up the 270 instead of a 7mm-08 and since then he went out and got one too. He kept his 7mm-08 and uses it now and again but he uses the 270 more. My vote is 270. Win :)

The salesman pulled a quick one on me. He had a couple A-bolts mixed in with the X-bolts. The A-bolts were $100.00 buck less then the X-bolt. So I put a 7mm-08 X-bolt on layaway until I can get my boy to the store to purchase it. Now I am starting to wonder if I should have went with the Win 270. ARRGGGHHH..... I hate it when you are splitting hairs like this.

400bull

The salesman pulled a quick one on me. He had a couple A-bolts mixed in with the X-bolts. The A-bolts were $100.00 buck less then the X-bolt. So I put a 7mm-08 X-bolt on layaway until I can get my boy to the store to purchase it. Now I am starting to wonder if I should have went with the Win 270. ARRGGGHHH..... I hate it when you are splitting hairs like this.

400bull
Nothing wrong with an A-bolt. In fact, in some ways I like them better when I compared them side-by-side at the SHOT show a few years ago.

I gotta say, I'm a fan of my A-bolt 270Win. If I could change one thing about it, it'd be that I'd rather not have the BOSS on it now.

I like the A-bolt as well. Bought one for the wife in 243 that has been a great little rifle. Everytime I have taken my boy down to try rifles out for size he keeps going back to the X-bolt.

400bull

I have a 7mMag Has NEVER let me down, except for the MEAT DAMAGE it causes
In like a tennis ball out like a soft ball, even at 300 yds and does kick a bit
Have been checking into the 7M08 vs 270win myself
leaning towards the ruger 7m08 as a sporter light weight.
Getting together with my brother for some Mulies in 2015
AT 63, not sure I can walk all week with the 7mMag, which has a 6x 18 fine dot redfield
The 7m08 in a ruger 18" barrel might be my choice
So long as I can do damage at 300yds, using a 4x16 or so, it WILL be this old man's choice
* I will be bringing the 7mMag as backup.

Bob,

Hi, I just got the ruger 7mm08 compact yesterday. Had a chance to sight it in as well. It is a nice, compact package. I really think I am going to like it. Feels less than 6lbs even with scope. I have only had the chance to shoot 5rds of hornady 140gr interock ammo thru it so far. It has a tolerable kick with that load but compared to my old ruger mini 14 it is noticeable :) Good luck to you if you get one.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.