Remingtom 700 FS in 7mm RM

willtim

I purchased this rifle new in the 1980's. I was told the stock was made by Brown Precision. I plan on adding a Timney Calvin Elite trigger. I would like to have the action blueprinted and rebarreled. I have a few questions and open to any and all suggestions. Who would you recommend to blueprint/rebarrel? Barrel brand? Flute? I only plan on shooting 160-168 grain bullets, so what twist? I am planning an elk/mule deer backpack hunt with my son's next year so I want to keep weight to a minimum. Thanks for any advice.

A 1/9 twist # 3 Brux, 26 inches finished. You may also take a look at Trigger tech triggers. If you are having it re-barreled the I would also have the action trued.

I would suggest going with a 1:8 twist barrel, just incase you get a wild hair to try something heavier than the 160-168 grain bullets. Bartlein builds a really nice barrel. If you have the extra coin to drop, Proof Research carbon fiber barrels are really nice for saving weight, but giving very good accuracy from the added stiffness of the carbon fiber wrap.

Also, 26" is standard for magnums, and if you go with a stainless barrel, fluting is a good option. I do highly recommend having the action fully blueprinted.

Might also want to look into the new Berger 175 Elite Hunters as another good bullet option. It's a good compromise between velocity and weight for larger game.

As for who to recommend, I have no idea. Lots of good gunsmiths out there. Where are you located? There might be a good smith near you.

Thanks, guys. I live in SC. Any suggestions?
No idea man, but maybe someone from up your way will know a good local SC smith. You could always mail it off to a good smith. Kevin Cram lives up the road from you, up in PA, and he does great work from what I've been told.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.