Rem sendero in bad weather

midwesthunter

I'm looking for a rifle that can handle some harsh conditions. Would the sendero be a good choice? Or something like savage weather warior or something else.

I have both, for whatever reason when you say harsh conditions an image pops in my mind of some long hikes in rough weather. The sendero is a great gun, but hiking with it in harsh conditions lasted a very short while and it was back to the ol savage. My sendero with brake is 29 inches long and I bout' came un-tethered carrying it through brush on a rainy day.

The bolt handle on the savage for whatever reason is really sensitive to rust.
All 3 of mine suffer from surface rust from normal usage, don't know why they are so bad about it.

As far as surface quality the sendero has shot in some raunchy weather with me in full rain gear and I was always able to get it cleaned without much consequence. It does have a light bead blasted type surface coating, but as of yet has not been problematic. When its really snotty outside the short barreled big boomer comes out for walks.

I have a trip planed in the future to Alaska, and we all know how it can be up there. I also have a trip planned to Turkey for Ibex in the winter. So I want something that will stand up to the task. I could keep it in a case, but would rather not. Thanks

I have a trip planed in the future to Alaska, and we all know how it can be up there. I also have a trip planned to Turkey for Ibex in the winter. So I want something that will stand up to the task. I could keep it in a case, but would rather not. Thanks

Anything stainless would be more than enough. If you're planning on two hunts I'd swap any plastic stock for a Bell & Carlson Medalist or better.

I just used my Sendero for a TX whitetail hunt. Great rifle, but if you plan on carrying it much it will be heavy! Next year my Wby Vanguard will have a long range scope on it so that I can carry less weight.

I would assume it would boil down to where in AK your hunt is and how much weight you would like to pack.

Alaska is so geographically diverse figure out where your going to be and go from there. The sendero is a physically large rifle compared to a standard model 16 savage. For me the weight difference wouldn't be the huge concern, its more the external profile that makes the blood pressure go up. Nothing worse than hiking through salmon berries and alders with a flag pole attached to your shoulder.

Its worth mentioning that on a normal hunting trip a rifle can only be abused for a finite amount of time. Anything remotely stainless or even quality blued will probably last for the duration of the hunt.

I have no idea what turkey's geography looks like, would imagine that most of it is open country and a long rifle would be easy to pack.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.