M-70 Extreme Weather SS or sendero

bludog

Looking to buy a new bolt gun. Ive been looking at winchesters Model 70 Extreme Weather SS in 7mm-08 no one around me has one to look at. I would like to know how heavy the barrel is. I don't like penicl barrels and it's hard to tell in pictures.
I've also been looking at a sendero in 7mm mag but I'm worried about weight and recoil I've never shot a 7mm mag. how is the recoil when shooting off a bench? also my shoulder is not that great from a motorcycle crash.

The model 70 extreme weather is a very nice rifle and the 7mm-08 is a great round for deer sized game to 500yrds. The 7mm rem mag is a mule kicking sob on an unbraked sporter weight rifle. I am not impressed with the new remington rifles. The last one I got was a cdl sf and it was junk. The finish on the stock bubled , scope mounting holes out of alainment , throat a mile long and trigger would not go less than 2.9lbs. All I had to do to make it right was buy a new stock and an eextened magazine box and a new trigger. I love it now but it will be the last remington I will buy. Unless you buy a custom long range rifle with a brake for your shoulder in a big , long range round ,het the 7mm-08 model 70 extreme weather ss. IMHO.

I like the sendero but don't know if I could buy one after what they did to marlin. Is the barrel on the EW a penicl barrel like on a model 7? or is it a sporter, heavy sporter?

The barrel is a fluted heavy sporter. It is about the same as my cdl sf remington witch is a magnum taper. Remington is run by Cerbus capital management and they are running the quality right out the window. You are right about marlin , destroyed ! On the bright side there will be lots of room for small , quality rifle makers as remington fades away.

I'm tempted to buy a m70 weather extreme myself in 7mm wsm. My problem is that I got moe wants than I got gots ! Might buy it anyway.

I have a Win EW in 338 Win Mag.

Pros:
  • Outside will very nicely finished.
  • 26" barrel.
  • Action is smooth.
  • Lightweight and good recoil pad.
  • Fluting is nice.
  • Stock is nice and rigid.
  • Trigger is great for factory

Cons:
  • Not very accurate. Generally 2+ inches w/factory & reloads. Two shots touching and the next thrown very wide. Load and rifle tuning no help. All screws torqued to spec. and rechecked. Scope confirmed good.
  • Spend case does not eject well (dribbles out) and sometimes stays in the loading port.
  • Magazine box is way to short in this caliber. Virtually no bullet seating adjustment without altering the mag box. Other calibers may not have this problem.
  • Barrel seems skinny for this caliber (.590 at the muzzle).
  • Inside of barrel has a big pit near the end.

Additional $ spent to fix:
  • Extended Magazine Box installed. Gunsmith said he wouldn't do another Winchester again. Apparently Remingtons are easier to modify stock for Extended Mag Boxes.
  • Ejection port on action milled to fix pathetic ejection.
  • New barrel ordered (pending installation) to address poor accuracy.

Notes: Rifle should have been sent back to factory for the big pit inside of barrel & ejection problems but they'll charge you if they don't find anything wrong. Since I called the factory prior to purchase to try to get mag box and throat specs (unavailable) and received assurances of MOA accuracy (no guarantees), I didn't want to pay shipping, insurance and get charged an "inspection fee" by them to tell me there's nothing wrong with it. The mag box is unacceptably short. Accuracy is about 2+ inches at 100 yards and off the target at 300. Other Winchester EW's owners love them and they perform much better but this is my experience. I expected much better for the money.

Remington... I don't know. Just do some research on what they've done to their newly owned/manufactured Marlins. I had some serious problems with mine.

Honestly , my new savage was a flawless tac driver right out of the box but you asked about the sedero and extreme weather ss. If you wan't the best bang for your buck I would get a model 16 savage in 260 rem. and have a deer killing machine without any drama.

Honestly , my new savage was a flawless tac driver right out of the box but you asked about the sedero and extreme weather ss. If you wan't the best bang for your buck I would get a model 16 savage in 260 rem. and have a deer killing machine without any drama.

Makes sense to me.

I have a savage 260 now Im going to be puting it up for sale. I don't like savages action. I know they work good and shoot I just don't like them.

If you're not obligated to stainless steel and heavy barrels you may check out the Model 70 Extreme Sporter. They're offered at Sportsmans Warehouse. They only come in magnum calibers and are blued versions of the extreme weather. Same gun for 2/3's the money. I got one in 300 wsm for $650 and the MOA trigger, while set a little heavy by the factory, is night and day crisper than the previous model 70 trigger I had on an older shadow model. It's definitely the best buy in my collection of bolt actions. Recoil is not as bad as I had anticipated. Trigger wt measures near 5 lbs but you'f never know it from the feel. I've yet to change the wt of pull.

The coyote light looks like it could be a consideration too.

The 7mag isn't bad at all for recoil, I shot out the sporter barrel on mine, but I did find a few folks that where scared of it. The only load I found that had what I though was much recoil was 175gr partition and a full load of RL22.

I wouldn't buy a Remington 700 unless I planned to change out the trigger group immediately.

On second thought regarding a model 70 "extreme sporter", particularly the 300 wsm mentioned above: When I'm trying to zero a scope or establish a gun's accuracy, I find the less I move around or change set up between shots, the more consistent my results are. So I don't switch out guns between shots, rather I wait until finishing the group. Whereas I wouldn't describe the ES barrel as pencil thin, due to magnum limitations, one shot definitely heats things up and it can be a long wait between shots at the bench waiting for the barrel to cool. Unless you're shooting in a pretty cold climate it takes more than a few minutes for that barrel to get back to "warm".

Looking to buy a new bolt gun. Ive been looking at winchesters Model 70 Extreme Weather SS in 7mm-08 no one around me has one to look at. I would like to know how heavy the barrel is. I don't like penicl barrels and it's hard to tell in pictures.
I've also been looking at a sendero in 7mm mag but I'm worried about weight and recoil I've never shot a 7mm mag. how is the recoil when shooting off a bench? also my shoulder is not that great from a motorcycle crash.

I have two Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STWs.

They do not have a muzzle brakes on them and they are very accurate. I think the weight and recoil is quite manageable. I would think the 7mm rem mag would have less recoil than my 7mm STWs.

i have an extreme weather 70 in 270 and the 3 shot is always 2 inches...i also have the sendero in 7rem mag and shoots decent with 7 in group at 700 yrds with factory HSM 168 berger vld. Recoil is not very noticible.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.