Rem 7600 pump, any experiences with it?

AJ Peacock

Guys,

I'm thinking a pump in 308 would be a nice rifle for close in brush/open sights type usage, a little quicker follow-up than a bolt. (besides, all my centerfire rifles are bolt action).

I haven't handled/shot one and was curious what everyone thought about them.

The reason I ask, is that I'll be hunting Bear in a month or so and was intending to take my 12ga just in case I have to trail one. That got me thinking that a 308Win pump would be pretty darn handy as well.

Thanks for your input,

AJ

Great gun for what you want to do with it. Id go 06 though on a bear. Pumps are not the JAM-OMATICS that the autos were but then I know severel that have never had that problem.

Last edited:
I have been playing with a buddies new patrol rifle its the Rem Pump in 223 that takes the AR mags. We fitted it with a Trijicon tactical site and Speedfeed stock. We have had no malfunctions with it and I understand that the 308 is just as good but still uses the rem mags.

For trailing a bear I would not choose a 308 pump as my first option , I would more than likely take my Rem 870 that it setup for police work. I'd load the first round with a solid slug and then 000 buck for the next 7 shots. You get 9 .330" diameter balls in one 3" mag 000 buckshot at around 1400fps ,thats enough to get into the brain pan of any bear if the slug doesen't do the job on the first shot , even if the pellets don't kill him the damage its going to cause to his nose (VERY sensitive) and his eyes will drasticaly limit his attack if he even considers that an option after the first round. either one is going to be more effective than pepper spray that "everybody" recommends. I hear of alot of guys taking a gun that kicks them so bad their scared of it to the woods as bear protection , I personaly would rather have a 12ga that I'm good with and have 8 shots than a bolt rifle that I'm not going to shoot accurately.

Thats just my two cents , if I were gonna buy a gun just for that task and your set on the pump then my vote would go to a 35 Whelen , you'll get more thump than any 308 or 30-06 load with a big partition it would make better bear poison

I fully understand the ballistics of the 308 vs the 12ga ...

My full thinking is to make sure the pump functions flawlessly in 308, then have a 338 Federal barrel made for it, add express sights and it would be my choice over a 12ga for black bears, because of its superior accuracy out past typical smoothbore slug ranges. Also, the weight and balance of a rifle is far superior for followup shots to a light barrelled 870 with slugs.

Anyway, I'd feel very comfortable behind a 308 with 200gr partitions in a dependable pump action. Although I've never 'had the opportunity' to stop a charging blackbear, my dad has done it twice and my grandfather did it once. They both told me the following
1) If you are able to hit a charging bear in the head/spine you are lucky.
2) Use something big enough to break their hips/shoulders if you don't hit them in the head/spine.(aim for their nose)
3) Use a gun that you can shoot well and fast.
4) Bring at least 2 friends to walk on either side of the blood trail you are following.
5) Most importantly, don't wound a bear. A bear that is DRT is much easier to track.

Thanks everyone,
AJ

AJ, I have a 7600 in 35 Whelen that shoots 1 moa with good handloads. It feeds well, handles well, and is suitable for quick off-hand shots. Right or wrong, I took out a running doe off-handed with mine at 189 yards. 225 grain NBT in the left cheek, out the right shoulder...jacket stayed under the scapula though.

I have had a few optics options, but like the Elite 3200 1.5x - 4.5x with the firefly reticle best. That combo can be a great brush gun, but still wack em at 300 plus if you need to do such.

my opinion for what it's worth. good luck.

My brother has used one in an O6 for years, a very popular rifle in CN MN. good handling and pretty quick. They do have a free floated barrel so that helps for the accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.