Do you guys have any experiance with Darrell Holland?

lovdasnow

I saw that he offers a long range shooting school in my state, and was wondering if you knew him or anything about the school.

My thought is starting to be, save my money and just keep reading here, but something like that could be fun with a friend.

I have heard some things about him, but not from guys I trust.
The only experiance I have with him is that I have his brake on my rum, and I love it.

thanks

I HAVE A COUPLE OF DARRELL'S RIFLES, ONE IN A 280 ACK AND THE OTHER ONE IN A 22-06 IMPROVED, THEY ARE BOTH ONE HOLE GUNS WITH THE RIGHT RELOADS. HIS EXPERTISE AND CRAFTSMANSHIP IS SECOND TO NO ONE, I WOULD NOT HESITATE TO GO TO HIS SCHOOL OR USE HIM AS A SMITH, BUT SINCE I BUILD MY OWN NOW I STILL USE SOME OF HIS PRODUCTS., HE IS FIRST CLASS ALL THE WAY.

I have one of his 20 MOA tapered one piece scope mounts on my .308 and love it. Real nice person to speak with on the phone.

ya, I love my brake, but never have talked to him. I heard someone saying he was a jerk, but I don't know that person, so I don't put much stock in what he has to say.
thanks for the input....anyone know anything about the shooting school?

I've talked to Darryl on the phone and he knows his stuff when it comes to long-range shooting. Be nice to hear about his school also. Seemed like a great guy on the phone.

Long range shooting school

Gentlemen, we offer one of, if not the finest long range shooting schools in the country. Our cirriculum far exceeds any school that I'm aware of??? Each student receives our shooters notebook that has close to 100 pages of graphs, charts, ballistic information, formulas, wind indicators, Mil-ing and MOA targets should your laser vapor-lock. We shoot under realistic outdoor conditions, uphill/downhill, across canyons and plenty of wind doping Most of our shooting is done between 300-875 yds.

All classrom sessions are done in a high quality Power Point presentation, we start class at 8:00am and usually finish up on the mountain (practicing the days lessons around 5:00 pm.) You have home work every night in preparation for the next mornings class.

We have a few spaces left in our April 25-28 and May 9-12th class. If anyone doubts the quality of our class/instruction, I'll make the following offer. Come to the school and shoot with us, if you do not feel you received your monies worth I'll refund your tuition cost!

Call for your entrance test and come prepared, you'll have a great time and improve your shooting.

Thanks for the opportunity to share our thoughts concerning our school.

Respectfully,

Darrell Holland 541-439-5155 9:00 - 3:00 PST.

When I started building rifles I guess you could say Mr. Holland was a mentor of mine. I studied all of his rifle building techniques and he was the one that I learned the basics of building accurate rifles from.

I have since started using some of my own ideas and practices but many of the basics of building accurate rifles I still use were learned from this man. Many of my own ideas were heavily influenced by his ideas and teachings and techniques as well.

I have ordered alot of product from him, even ordered an old engraver from him many years ago and dealing with him every time has been a great experience.

Now days, I order most of my Holland products from larger wholesale suppliers but still does not change the fact he offers many of the finest products out there for our sport.

May sound like I am gushing over Mr. Holland. Certainly not, just respect the man and appreciate what he has done for me helping me get started even though he probably does not even know it.

He is a straight shooter with many unique ideas to improve out sport. I hope he will hang out on LRH more and offer us some of his perspective on all our conversations.

Kirby Allen(50)

Gentlemen,

Greetings, thanks for your interest in our long range shooting school! We offer one of, if not the finest long range shooting school in the country. Our advanced cirriculum and teaching methods produce excellent results.

Morning class starts at 8:00am with our Power Point presentation. each student receives our shooters notebook with fomulas, ballistic data, mil-ing and MOA-ing information, angular shooting formulas, wind data etc.

We shoot under realistic outdoor conditions, uphill/downhill, across canyons and plenty of wind doping to satisfy the most experienced shooter.

Days are long and you'll have homework every night in preparation for the next mornings class.

Students take tests thru out the school, ranging, wind dope, mil-ing MOA-ing, angular correction etc.

I have a few openings in our April 25-28th and May 9-12 classes. Come join us for 4 days of shooting, as well as a great time. After 4 days, if you do not feel the school/cirriculum is the best you've seen I'll refund your tuition.

In 4 years of teaching we've yet to have a student challenge the course, many students return for a second time because they had such a good time!

Call for reservations and your entrance exam. 541-439-5155 9:00-3:00 PST

Thanks for the opportunity to share information about our school.

Respectfully

Darrell Holland

Darrell Holland just put the ART Reticle in my Leupold Mark 4 tactical scope. I can't wait to mount it and test his new system. The reticle looks very practicle when I look through it. He did an excellent job on the installation . I am sure it will be up to what he indicated it will do. If so, I would like to put one in my NF NSX if it can be done?

I will let the readers know the results when I find some time to test it.

Fellow Long Range Shooters/Enthusiasts:
After seeing this post about Darrell Holland and requesting others experience with him I stopped in my tracks. I must admit I am new to the subject of LR shooting as well as accuracy in shooting.

I would have considered myself a "trigger puller" in that all I did was try to put the crosshairs on a target, pull the trigger and hope my intended result occurred. If it didn't, I didn't have a clue, but always tried something. As of late, there is the internet and forums such as this in which a great number of knowledgeable individuals unselfishly share their gift.

In the least, this is my opportunity to give back…

After a dire need of more knowledge and ability in LR shooting, I was on the internet and bumped into Darrell's Advanced Reticle Technology and shooting school information. We visited via phone and email regarding what I wanted and what he could do to help close the gap.

Later, I ordered a Schmidt-Bender with his ART system and "played" with it for a bit and read all documentation provided. The San Antonio, South Texas area is rather somewhat of a vacuum on LR shooting or ranges past 100 yards. One can drive 6 hours and not get half way across the state. I visited with Darrell about his LR school and was very concerned I would be a complete neophyte in a class with pros. I voiced and emailed my concern to Darrell and he was confiding and appeared honest.

A couple of months later I found myself up in Oregon and shaking Darrell's hand for the first time. The course was unique. There was no wasted time. We started soon after daylight and I did not get back to my room till long after dark. Yes, there was homework and dry-firing in our rooms. We had class in the morning and learned, we went into beautiful mountains and shot every afternoon. Each moment was exponentially more enjoyable than the previous.

My classmates were from all walks of experience and each were a joy to be with. Everyone was just soaking in the newfound knowledge and Darrell along with his assistant instructor, Gary really knew their stuff. At times I felt like I was the only one in the class because of the one-on-one attention.

My learning curve took off, but I must admit being a newbie to shooting, sometimes I felt like I was sipping out of a fire hose. You are given books and information along with your own notes. I have gone over them numerous times since returning and, in fact, have reprinted them on index cards to review in the hunting stand.

Darrell built me a 708 that is sexier than Ann Margaret. The silly thing about it is it will shoot factory ammo really well. Since class last year, Darrell advised me that I was about as good as I was going to get unless I started to precision handload. I purchased ammo by the case and had no interest in his recommendation. After a few months of thinking about it I called him back and asked Darrell to make his own recommendations for handloading equipment, gather it up and send it to me. My intent here was simple, he had been forthright and extremely effective up to this point, I wanted a sale (read; my money) to be accountable to someone. If he made a mistake or I was not happy, I knew he would make it right.

Now I now precision handload and love to shoot more each day, seeing definite results. Even if out of hunting season I piddle and learn each week. Darrell is always a phone call away or a quick response to my emails. He is simple, brilliant, and confident in his ability. He is the consummate gentleman, a wonderful husband and father. I truly feel it is an honor to spend time with Darrell, his wife and son. I will not be up for the this year's class but I feel certain I will go back again to re-learn and hone my skills and knowledge.

Concluding, I look at LR shooting from, most likely, a different perspective. I want immediate, humane kills on animals I remove from our ranch. Bloodtrails are not pleasant for me. Before I pull the trigger I know that animal will fall tail first, being lights out before its head hits the ground.

This being said, perhaps the majority of those reading this have sincere interests in hunts all over the world or maybe a mule deer or elk hunt in the northwest. To most, money IS an object. I could not imagine being on a dall sheep, elk, or deer hunt, spending real dollars, seeing my trophy of a lifetime and not being able to humanly take a sportsman shot because of its distance and my ability and my equipment don't jive. This costs real money!

I realize now how expensive inexpensive factory equipment is in comparison to my Darrell Holland 708 and ART system more than I wish. I had purchased two factory 708's and spent, spent, spent in an attempt to bring them up close to speed. They were truly more expensive in the end. Hunts have to be expensive and limiting oneself going into them make them super-expensive.

Happy shooting and hunting!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.