Rem 722 question????

o2bwest

My current project is a rem 722 .222. I want to put it in a new stock and add a detacheable box mag. Does anyone know if the HS Precision DM assembly will work with the 722? If not what else could I do. I think I am going to go with a HS PS 2000 Sporter stock.

trigger & bolt cut out are the only thing that seperate it from the short 700
you will be able to bolt it up fine... just have to fine tune the fit
the bolt release is under the trigger so it makes it tough to get out somtimes( unless you swap out a 700 trigger)
i have several customs built on 721 or 722 actions all the parts interchange with 700
but there are some incremental changes... most are easy to overcome..
i would look at a factory dm 700 short trigger guard .. could be a slam dunk?

Not exactly.
It depends on if you want a top safety lever or not. Without modifying the tang of your 722, a 700 top safety trigger will not work. A 700 short action stock will work fine, but you either have to put on a 700 trigger and make a cut on the the tang of the 722 action or inlet the 700 stock for your 722 trigger safety lever. On a 722, it has a full tang and the lever sweeps on the outside. With a 700, the tang has a cut-out on the side for the safety lever to ride closer to the action.

Can't swap the 722 lever over to the 700 trigger either because the construction on the lever where the ball rides into it's hole on the trigger housing is slightly different from a 700. With my custom 722, I used a 700 short action stock, 700 short action BDL bottom metal, and used a Jewell 700 trigger with the bottom safety so I did not have to make mods to the stock or tang of my action. They also make 700 triggers without a safety. Another option is to just remove the safety lever from your 722 trigger. Safety levers may not be an issue to some folks if it is a varmint rifle that will only have a round chambered right before firing, but it is still highly recommended to have a safety IMO.

You will also have to get a new magazine either way if planning on using a 700 stock unless you go with an ADL model stock. The 722 magazine is the same as an ADL with the longer sloping bottom that will not work in a BDL stock.

I was going to use a Jewell trigger. Will I need to order the bottom safety or can I make that mod. myself?

You have to order the bottom safety. Pretty sure that design is exclusive to Jewell. Trigger will come with it installed. Then you just knock out the two pins on your trigger hanger, drop out the 722 trigger, and fit up the new Jewell 700 trigger with the pins. Fits right in. Just have to use a small Phillips head screw driver to remove the knob on the Jewell bottom safety lever before putting your stock on so that the lever can fit through your trigger guard opening. Once through, simply put the knob back on.

I would suggest getting the HVSBR model (I think thats the right abbreviation?) Bottom safety with bolt release. Anyhow, it adjusts from 4 oz, all the way up to 3 lbs. So it has an extremely vesatile weight range. The higher weights require a heavier spring that is supplied along with the trigger. Light weight pull spring is usually the one that comes installed. The pull weight is externally adjustable on the trigger shoe via a small allen wrench set screw. The Jewell triggers are very sensitive to adjustment, meaning that the slightest turn of the screw could adjust pull weight up or down by 1/2 LB. but once set where you want it, they stay put and are perfectly consistent with each pull. You'll like the bottom safety, it's really cool and gives a rifle that extra 'custom' appeal :)

I've installed several Jewells, but I wasn't aware they offered a bottom safety version. That is great info. Thank you very much.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.