Rem 700 SPS

davkrat

I'm thinking of buying a 700 SPS in .308. First of all to have a second gun to take to the range with me. I don't care about the stock as I will intend on replacing it as time comes and probably eventually the barrel as well. Is there much difference other than the finish on the SPS's vs. CDL/BDL? I looked into having a .338-08 built and now come to find out the Federal standardized the cartridge as the 338 Federal. I've always liked Manlichers and would like to one day cut the barrel down to 20" or have it rebarreled to 338 Federal and have a Manlicher stock put on it. This would primarily be a close in timber gun, primarily for wild pigs here in California. This would be along the lines of a "Woods Rifle" like O'Conor and Chuck Hawks have touted. As Hawks says it would probably be fine loaded down to modest velocities and keep the shots around 200 yards. Are the SPS actions worth it? They're about all I can afford at the moment and would be nice to have a .308 to play with in the mean time. I already have dies for my brother's .308. I would assume they are the same just not as pretty as other 700s but you know what happens when one assumes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My lil bro has a 22-250 in an sps. If all you're gonig to be shooting is 2-300 yrds I think that it will work great. My little brothers shoots around .8-1 moa at 100yrds.

Thanks,
I am mainly concerned if the SPS can be tuned up just as well as a more expensive Rem. 700. I would assume so but was thinking there might be lower tolerances in some areas that regular action tuning might not correct.

I think that you will find that all the Rem actions are about the same as far as tolerances. Until you go to 40X or Custom shop they should all be about the same. I've been using 700 ADL actions for years to build Varmint rifles. It was cheaper to buy an ADL synthetic than to buy a used 700 BDL. The SPS replaced the 700 ADL synthetic.

Thanks, that's what I figured. My other gun is a ADL I bought 12 years ago after graduation and always planned on having a custom built out of it. IS there some way to match the Matte finish of the SPS with a stainless barrel. I was planning on having a bead blasted finish on the SS barrel but would like it to be black instead of grey. I've seen people paint their rifles camo so I would assume one could similarly paint it black or are there other options? I think I will definately get teh SPS in .308 for the mean time just to have another toy and then slowly build it up.
Thanks

If I were you, I would send it out to get one of the coatings (teflon, duracoat, etc) done to all the metal. This will not only make is all the same color but will protect it better. I believe Shawn Carlock does a coating of some type.

Davkrat ,

I'd spend the extra money and get a stainless if it were me.It will always be worth more and you wouldn't have to worry about it matching when you modify it.
I've had remingtons for many years and the only difference in the 700 actions are the materials their made of and the bottom loading style and of coarse the stock material.
A lesser expensive sps then the custom stock of your choice is an attractive way to get a nice gun.
I'm kind of plotting a similer thing w/a sps 300win. down the road it will evolve into a hs precision stocked 7stw.
Best of luck w/your stainless 308!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gifME

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.