Rem 700 sps syn

BRrooster

Ive been thinking of getting a stainless rifle for rainy days and have not owned a Remington rifle yet . A Rem 700 SPS Stainless seems like the way Ill be going. A 7mm08 will probably be the caliber of choice. Something in a deer size game rifle with the capability of taking down a Moose or Elk , with a "boiler room" shot if I have to.
I talked to a salesperson last weekend and they stated that there has been some problems with Remingtons in the last few years. Then he led me over to a different rifle and said that "THIS" is what you really need. The make didnt really appeal to me and the price was double what I had in mind. Oh it was a good rifle and all , but Id like to try out a 700. Has any one got any tips on what I should look for in shopping for a Remington?
thanks
bruce.

Last edited:
Ive been thinking of getting a stainless rifle for rainy days and have not owned a Remington rifle yet . A Rem 700 SPS Stainless seems like the way Ill be going. A 7mm08 will probably be the caliber of choice. Something in a deer size game rifle with the capability of taking down a Moose or Elk , with a "boiler room" shot if I have to.
I talked to a salesperson last weekend and they stated that there has been some problems with Remingtons in the last few years. Then he led me over to a different rifle and said that "THIS" is what you really need. The make didnt really appeal to me and the price was double what I had in mind. Oh it was a good rifle and all , but Id like to try out a 700. Has any one got any tips on what I should look for in shopping for a Remington?
thanks
bruce.
Rem's are usually pretty good. I've got 4 of them, but I've seen a couple of real head scratchers( as in are they blind) come from them too. They aren't the only ones letting out a bum rifle now and again though. I've seen bad wins, savages, rugers, and at least one browning I'd say was not first rate. You get what you pay for, but I've got a rem700 7mag in bdl with a nice mountain rifle laminate stock that was an adl that I converted to bdl, and it shoots just fine. My 375 is a sps limited edition and it shoots sub moa with full house loads at 8#loaded weight. Most savings on the sps/adl rifles is finishing, or lack thereof.

Ive got a 700 sps varmint in 223. Its been a good gun to me and I havent invested in it at all. I'm really not a big fan of the Remington synthetics, but its shoots decent and its easy to customize a 700.

For clarity....I'm a huge fan of the model 700, I just dont like their plastic stocks.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.