Rem 700 SPS Stainless or Savage 116 FHSS?

Scott S

I will be buying a 30-06 in order to rechamber it into a 338-06 AI and was wondering which of the two rifles would be a better platform. The Remington comes with a 24" barrel. The Savage comes with a 22" barrel but they will build me a 116 FHSS with a 24" barrel.

They would cost me about the same but I was wondering which would give me a better stock, action, and overall performance. I'm trying to do this on a budget and avoid custom rebarreling. I would really like to just rechamber one of these two rifles and see how well they shoot with the factory barrel and factory stocks. I could probably also afford to bed the action but that would be about my financial limit.

Thanks for any advice.

Scott

30-06 to 338-06AI is more then just a rechamber, you are changing caliber. Prefit Savage barrels are inexpensive and can be installed by you, that's the way I would go. I don't care for either one of those stocks.

Unless you are absolutely stuck on the 338-06AI, you could just buy a savage or Remington in 338Win Mag and it would be cheaper than swapping barrels, and you would have a 'bigger' 338, which could always be loaded down to the -06AI levels. I see both Rem and Savage 338 Win Mag's available on Gunbroker for less than $600

AJ

Well, I suppose I just had a major brainfart!! I knew I would have to rebarrel the rifle for a .338 but I guess I wasn't thinking.

I suppose it would be easier to buy a .338 and just load "down" with it. I just really wanted to avoid the belted magnums from a handloading standpoint.

Thanks for the advice and for correcting me on rebarreling part. I feel like an idiot right now. :(

Well, I suppose I just had a major brainfart!! I knew I would have to rebarrel the rifle for a .338 but I guess I wasn't thinking.

I suppose it would be easier to buy a .338 and just load "down" with it. I just really wanted to avoid the belted magnums from a handloading standpoint.

Thanks for the advice and for correcting me on rebarreling part. I feel like an idiot right now. :(

We all have brain farts. You can reload the belted magnums just like any other round. Just headspace off the shoulder instead of the belt by limited the amount you push the shoulder back. In my opinion, its the best way to reload for the belted mags, I've been doing it for years in my 7mm Rem Mag.

AJ

Thanks, AJ.

The reason I so sold on 338-06 AI is because I have a 30-06 right now and was just looking to use some of my 30-06 brass, I could avoid the belted cartridge, and I would get some very good performance with the 338-06 AI for larger game (i.e. a 220 gr or 250 gr bullet with good ballistics).

If I decide to stick with a 338-06 AI I may wind up buying the Savage since it is a little less than the Remington SPS and I could use the extra savings to go towards a new barrel.

Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.