Rem 700 Bolt Face for 22-250

mrussell

If i was to buy a Rem 700 in 30-06, then have a gunsmith remove the barrel and chamber a new barrel in 22-250, would the bolt face match the 22-250 case head? Does it need to be in a short action? or will the long action work? what problems will i run into?

If i was to buy a Rem 700 in 30-06, then have a gunsmith remove the barrel and chamber a new barrel in 22-250, would the bolt face match the 22-250 case head? Does it need to be in a short action? or will the long action work? what problems will i run into?

USE a BERGARRA BBL. they are excellent, and you can do it yourself. The long action has several advantages, such as longer bullet seating, if loading is a problem, simply make an aluminum spacer and replace follower and spring with short action size. I have built several like this using BERGARRA and love them. The price you save more than covers the small cost of head space gages. and these things are tack driver's. I like the 1-10 twist as I can shoot 60 gr. bullets and still maintain high velocity.

can send pics via e-mail, but don't have "photo bucket" acct. to post here.

pm me with your e-mail and I will send pic.

Buy a short action! You will still have 1/2" extra in magazine length so you can set your bullets out if you want to. You won't have 1/2" of bullet to set out. Nominal OAL of .22-250 loaded round = 2.350" Magazine box length of Rem. 700 SA = 2.850" You will save yourself alot of head aches in the long run.

Ok, I have been thinking. The stock I have is for the ADL. I know that a single action is a lot more rigid. can I take the follower off the sprig to use as the single shot. Also, i want to buld up the stock to make more of a bench rest style stock! What is the best way to bond/glue the new wood to the exsisting wood? Also, can i bond in the action the magazine to make is a single shot?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.