Rem 700 bolt face???

DONTSTROKEME

I have had problems with a new 270 WSM from Rem. I think the bolt closes way too hard. It looks to me that the bottom side of the bolt is dinged, and the rim on the inside is slightly bulged in. The extractor is also full of brass on the groove between the rim and the edge.
Bolt1.jpg

BottomBolt.jpg

Extractor.jpg

Pulling the bolt out and manually inserting the shell into the bolt, it just seems hard.

I am almost to the point of returning the rifle for another as I haven't shot it and it was in the box when I got it.

If I end up keeping it, my cases are scratched alot, I was considering the Wyatts center feed follower and box. They say that gunsmithing is required...but is it?

Do I need to do this to get it to feed reliabaly? Or can I just open and smooth the rails on the reciever?

Joe Oakes

I would deffinatly return it , your right it looks like the bolt was droped on its nose or somthing but from the pics it looks dinged. If its out of of round its will give you headaches from here on out.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.