Rem 700 Action source?

Do not buy remington anything with a serial number RR##### The receiver casting was Asian, garbage. Older stuff from 90s on back is good. But still.......why pay 300-500$ for a donor rifle that will cost 300-400$ to true up, side bolt release, open bottom for wyatt's/aics mags when a mac bros for 675$ or origin/nucleus/atlas/tenacity are all under a grand. They will all take prefits from a quality gunsmith. In my opinion its silly to go that route.

Defiance budget action is the tenacity. There are several sub $1k actions out there, not all 700s need to be overworked to shoot.
ditto the above. I used to shoot all 700's Sporter, Light and Heavy Benchrest, none were trued.
Being a budget shooter I loved to knock off the custom actions in classes of around 75 shooters, 95% shooting customs
My best was .068" at 100yds and .210" agg at 200yds 30 years ago

Do not buy remington anything with a serial number RR##### The receiver casting was Asian, garbage. Older stuff from 90s on back is good. But still.......why pay 300-500$ for a donor rifle that will cost 300-400$ to true up, side bolt release, open bottom for wyatt's/aics mags when a mac bros for 675$ or origin/nucleus/atlas/tenacity are all under a grand. They will all take prefits from a quality gunsmith. In my opinion its silly to go that route.
The first sentence of this post ^^^^^^^ is mis-information! All Rem 700s , new and old, are machined of pre-heat-treated bar stock.

Maybe a cold roll! Crap regardless. Maybe all the info Chad Dixon at LRI is spreading all lies i guess.
Post a link, I'll read it. I'm not gonna' go searching for it. It is painfully obvious you know little to nothing of manufacturing process. The rem 700 has always been made of cold rolled, pre-heat treated bar stock.

I saw Rem long and short actions for sale through Brownells recently. I think prices were around $550.

You might get lucky finding a used one at a gun shop or pawn shop. I picked up a lightly used ADL in .25-06 with a Leupold vx2 3-9x for $400 (Scheels) and a BDL in .270 for $500 (Gander Mtn.) but that was probably 8 years ago.

A friend has purchased some ADL new for around $450 (Mills Fleet Farm) but again, that was a few years ago.

Prices today? Not sure what to expect.

As others mentioned… you might consider a custom action if you have a hard time finding a donor Rem 700.

Best wishes.

You can purchase Rem 700 LA receiver new for $375.00 plus fees. That is what I bought a year ago for a 6.5mm build in SS. With some pawnshops everything they have is a valuable antique. I here they are hard to get tender enough to eat if you don't sell them.;)

The last one I bought was from Buds Gun Shop. I know they had some Long Actions for less then 500 in stock.
As long as I can get my hands on a Remington 700 action you will never see me buy a custom action. Maybe I'm a odd ball, but I work to hard to blow it on unnecessary things.

Except
So true! I do think were I building just a hunting rifle (moa rifle) I would buy a Savage short action/long action depending on cartridge length. It has much to offer such as interchangeable bolt faces and floating bolt head. I am partial to the barrel nut convenience of barrel change ease.
Accuracy wise Shilen and Criterion both offer hand lapped tubes in a large variety of chamberings. Both are capable of shooting groups in the .3 arena with hand loads with optimized powder choices and premium bullets. I have seen this repeatedly and did I mention the
ease of caliber changes?e

Except for the bolt face, you can do the same thing with a 700. I built one a couple years ago and am amazed as to how well it shoots. I worked my lugs in myself and set the headspacing without any special tools. Gun shot 4 of 5 rounds in the .2s with 5 different powder charges on the first powder/bullet combo I tried . I've done almost as well with Savage actions too in the past. Never owned a custom action and honestly doubt I could shoot well enough to tell a difference from an accuracy standpoint. .25 moa is about my physical limit, so I don't see the need to spend the extra coin personally.