Rem 700 action issue

speeders

I bought a remington 700 and have around 70 rounds through it. I pulled the bolt out and was going to give it a cleaning when I noticed the inside looks like it went through a meat grinder. I have never seen this in any of my Remington's or other guns for that matter. Anyone have any ideas how this could happen?

Anyone seen this in there rifle?

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 73
How does the bolt look? Any galling on it? Quality control looks bad, action shouldn't have left factory. As long as gun shoots and works fine just go with it.

I'd call remington if the gun is new. My opinion, they need to know when this happens or in time people will stop favoring them. The 700 needs to stay and get better, qc is the answer. They need to take this seriously.

I'd call remington if the gun is new. My opinion, they need to know when this happens or in time people will stop favoring them. The 700 needs to stay and get better, qc is the answer. They need to take this seriously.
Sorry Ed, but I do believe that the ship has already left the dock on that one..... I WAS a remmy fan but after seeing them actually sell two unusable rifles new ( I got one of those) and the fit I'm having with the 7stw at times, I'm looking elsewhere from now on first. I may still buy a remmy, but I'll be very wary and expect to do work to it. Their good pipes work well, but they seem to let one out that'll either let a smoothbore outshoot it or have a funky chamber or galled metal once in a while.

Lefty, I'm thinking about buying a new action of theirs on Midway or someplace, just the action. Do you think they will be top quality? Maybe a used older action/gun is better? I'm not happy with custom action prices. I gotta say though, I like the win 70 push feeds the most, (2000-2004) they feel great. Only issue is I'd like to find a smith that true's them for a reasonable price and turnaround time. Ideas?

Race-ways are broached, which for a machine operation rarely if ever leaves a smooth finish. What you have there is typical, even for some older actions. I've seen worse on; remy, savage and winchesters before. since the OD of the broach internal surface really doesn't touch the OD of the lugs it's not a big deal.

if you want a smooth finish get a custom action they are edm.

Thanks for the info guys. The gun shoots really good. Right at .5 moa. It's disappointing to see that quality of work. Funny thing is it sure didn't look like when I bought it. Well not that I can recall.

I know my next rifle will definitely NOT be a remington.

Race-ways are broached, which for a machine operation rarely if ever leaves a smooth finish. What you have there is typical, even for some older actions. I've seen worse on; remy, savage and winchesters before. since the OD of the broach internal surface really doesn't touch the OD of the lugs it's not a big deal.

I agree! Leave the bolt on and it's GTG. :)

/\ What Jim said....amen

I'm a huge Rem 700 (or 40-X) fan, and I have a bunch of them. I'll continue to buy them without hesitation. But the ones I buy are used, older production guns that I generally find in pawn shops, gunstores or shows. The recent production stuff seems to be geared more towards the WalMart crowd; cheap but functional and with no frills. I've also seen some recent stuff that wasn't functional. They seem like they've gotten a bit better than they were 5-10 years ago, but they still have a long, long way to go to get anywhere near what they were 20-25 years back.

Lefty, I'm thinking about buying a new action of theirs on Midway or someplace, just the action. Do you think they will be top quality? Maybe a used older action/gun is better? I'm not happy with custom action prices. I gotta say though, I like the win 70 push feeds the most, (2000-2004) they feel great. Only issue is I'd like to find a smith that true's them for a reasonable price and turnaround time. Ideas?
I'd say the used ald's are one of your better options if all you need is a righty action. They can usually be found lightly used for less than a new action and you may get the bonus of a thousand rounds or more on a barrel you don't care much about. Heck, Kevin is right about wally world; you can get an adl from them for a little over $400.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.