Rem 700 Accuracy Issues

fellas2

A few years back i picked up an older prefix serial # Rem 700 in .243. Since i live only minutes away, i took it to E.R. Shaw, a well know barrel maker and had it rebarrelled to .260 Rem. They also installed a Timmney trigger and blued the entire rifle. Last year i dropped it in a Rem 700 Ti stock which i had painted and installed a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15X44 Firedot scope. I only shot a few rounds out of it and put it in the safe. This year i decided to use it as my primary whitetail gun. I handloaded some ammo using Barnes 100gr and 120gr TTSX bullets. Went to the range three times this week to try and sight in the rifle to no avail. I get the thing shooting 1.5" high at 100 yards and every third and fourth shot is a flier. First two print dead nuts spot on and the third and fourth shot go 3"-4" right and another 1" or so high. This repeats itself almost every time. I switched to Hornady factory 120 gr ammo and the rifle does the exact same thing. I tries cleaning with copper bore solvent, reshooting, and the exact same thing happens. barrel was properly broken in, Talley one pieces are tight, and scope is rock solid. I'm ready to throw in the towel.

Not bedded, i think the speed bump has been removed from barrel inlet. I've never had issues like this from any rifle before, factory or otherwise. I recently bought a Savage Axis 350 Legend that will cloverleaf 3 shots at 100 yards.

If you are sure the scope is mounted correctly and the action screws are torqued right I would float the barrel and bed the action also make sure the mag box is not putting pressure on the action if this is a bdl rifle

Last edited:
Last year i dropped it in a Rem 700 Ti stock which i had painted and installed a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15X44 Firedot scope. I only shot a few rounds out of it and put it in the safe.

First two print dead nuts spot on and the third and fourth shot go 3"-4" right and another 1" or so high. This repeats itself almost every time. I switched to Hornady factory 120 gr ammo and the rifle does the exact same thing.
This sounds like the action is moving in the stock. I'd try some tuning by varying the action screw torque within factory specs. And/ or try some skim bedding of the recoil lug.

Another thing to check is if the magbox is properly installed and not binding. That can cause issues on Remingtons.

First two print dead nuts spot on and the third and fourth shot go 3"-4" right and another 1" or so high. This repeats itself almost every time.
I had this happen in a Interarms MarkX Mauser 243 win. I figured it to be a bedding issues as I'd chase the zero between the two shifting points/ groups. I didn't do bedding at that time and a buddy needed a 243 win for his wife. He bought it and did a bedding job on it. Shoots really well and they've taken many deer with that set up.

Not bedded, i think the speed bump has been removed from barrel inlet. I've never had issues like this from any rifle before, factory or otherwise. I recently bought a Savage Axis 350 Legend that will cloverleaf 3 shots at 100 yards.
Have them replace the speed bump, dollop of bedding under the front -tip of stock and I'll bet she shoots. Taught to me by a gunsmith who had 40 years of working on Remingtons

I would shoot the rifle through a chronograph, See how close the velocity is.
A bad firing pin spring can cause a big problem by not hitting consistent from shot to shot.