Rem 700 - Timney trigger, PTG bolt misfire issues

Powerguy

Having an issue with a new rifle - blueprinted rem 700 action, ptg bolt and timney trigger.

Have put about 100 rounds thru it and it has shot great.

Went to the range this week to shoot. Loaded first round and nothing. Trigger would not pull. Nothing. Like it was locked. Went home and pulled action out of stock and the trigger was like it was locked in safe. moved the safety switch, cycled the bolt, hit everything with a little lube and got the gun to cycle and trigger worked. Not sure what I did to make it happen. Put action back into stock and cycled the bolt and dry fired and everything looked good.

Went to the rage next day. First 5 rounds, pin would hit primer but would not fire. These were reloads. Tried a couple of factory loads and same thing, mark on primer but no fire. Tried a few more and one finally fired. Shot about 20 rounds that fired and had one of two more that would not.

Got home, took bolt apart and cleaned it. Took a lot of effort to pull back the tab to spin off the firing pin. Put back together and tried a few once fired brass with new primers. Had 3 fire then the next 8 marked the primer but did not fire.

Not bolt is acting even worse. Dry fire and the firing fin moves a little slow with muffled click. Recock and dry fire again and firing pin moves in slow motion with no click.

I had put 100 rounds thru this new rifle without incident and now this. I have a hunt coming up and need to sort this out so I know that when I need to shoot that the gun will fire. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Take a look at the sear and be sure it moves easily with the bolt removed, you should be a able to push it down with a small punch or even a pen or pencil. My guess is something is not allow it to move down and out of the way enough. It is possible the trigger overtravel screw has somehow come out of adjustment and is no longer providing adequate clearance for the sear to move past the trigger after the trigger is pulled.

Make sure the bolt handle is not bottoming out in the stock. If the handle is touching it will not allow the pin to fall completly. Measure how far the pin is coming thru the end of the bolt. It should be .040 to .060. Dan

Bolt is not bottoming out. Moved trigger overtravel screw out 1/4 turn. Fired about 20 primed cases and only 2 misfired so pin is fine. Both times closing the bolt was stiffer than normal. Something is definitely sticking.

Also noticed that the bolt release button on the trigger was not returning all the was out when I removed the bolt and I had to puch in quite a ways to get to bolt to release.

Check for stock interference on the trigger. That would be my next guess. Also look when you install the bottom metal. Sometimes the inside rail at the trigger will need thining not to put the bolt release in a bind. Dan

Thanks for the help. Trigger looks clear. PTG oberndorf bottom metal with good clearance.

Gun had been shooting well and one day just started acting up. Had not done anything to it other than normal cleaning/lube after shooting.

Last edited:
We can all guess at what your problem may be but it Sounds like it needs to be looked
at by a competent Gun Smith.

J E CUSTOM

Heading to see one tomorrow.

The bolt had a lot of sludge in it and a wear spot on the firing pin that may have been part of the problem.

Problem solved. Found a great article online about bolt cleaning at :

Bolt Cleaning

I took the bolt apart and thoroughly cleaned and then oiled. Fired 20 primed cases and they all went off.

When I first pulled the bolt apart it was very difficult and took a lot of effort to move and pull the sear back to rotate the firing pin for removal. Thought it seemed odd since I have seen this done in online videos with boot laces and pushing down on the edge of a bench. Now with everything cleaned thorougly the effort to pull the sear back is much lighter and easier to do. The snap sound when firing the rifle is even louder and more crisp. Sounds like the remington bolts need extra attention to cleaning and maybe the PTG bolt due to tighter tolerances.

One question, what high pressure grease should be used on the cocking cam?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts