Rem 700 1980's rebuild /upgrade

fmajor

I've had this rifle since May 1983 (according to the barrel it was made in Nov? 1982). It was a Rem 700 ADL and my HS graduation present and has taken many whitetails. The barrel has long since been shot out and needed something new.

This is one of my few "original" firearms. It was never radically 'upgraded' before aside from bedding, lapping the lugs a bit, and me honing/adjusting the original trigger. I've been wanting to do something special with it and recently bought a Criterion RemAge prefit barrel in 7mm Rem Mag.

Then I remembered I wanted to do something with the ~350 new and another ~150 (multi-fired) WW casings in 300 Win Mag from when I reloaded and shot that chambering. I recall a long thread here many years ago RE the 7mm-300 Win mag. I was enamored with the chambering then so naturally decided on the 7mm-300 Win Mag. It would be perfect for me and all that I want in a medium-powered, all-around solution (up to elk in the max range of 800yds). A quick call to my 'smith verified that he just happened to have a 7mm/.284 barrel in stock.

So, here she is;
R700-7mm300-WinMag I.jpg

R700-7mm300-WinMag II.jpg

Stock: Pure Precision Altitude (Alpine color scheme)
Barrel: Lilja #5 contour, 26" finished length, 1:9 twist, 4-groove CM
Chamber: 7mm-300 Win Mag (not sure of reamer specs as my 'smith just said it was an "in-stock" reamer at PTG (and I didn't have to buy the reamer)
Trigger: TriggerTech "Special" @ ~1.5lbs
Muzzlebrake: MBM Beast II 4-port
Bolt: upgraded firing pin spring and lightened firing pin
Bottom Metal: I know I'm gonna get judged here but really like the all-metal KwiKlip system and have 2x 3-round mags for it. I just can't bring myself to use polymer on my rifle. When I used to jump out of planes carrying firearms, I don't recall seeing any aluminum or steel firearms "things" get busted up.... polymer handguards yes, but not metal firearm accessories. So, for me, plastics are rarely an option (pistols okay...not my rifle).
Scope: Vortex PST Gen II FFP 5x25 50mm MOA
Base: Leupold 20MOA 1-piece
Rings: Vortex

Weighs 10lbs 6ozs all up with a loaded mag.

Nice rifle build and excellent choice rebuilding the old workhorse. I recently rebuilt my 1989 Remington 700 as well this year replacing the barrel as well.

A good link to check the month and year of mfg, you'll need the code on the original barrel though if you saved that.

Hey Koda_,

Thanks! I did a look-up on the barrel before taking it off and can't confidently recall the month (was pretty sure it was November), but I do recall the year (the barrel is long since gone).

Unfortunately, and ashamed to say I was not able to remove the barrel myself - I used my barrel vise, action wrench, torch, pipe wrench, grinder, and shop vise (which I broke in the process). I do a lot of my own mechanical work and am used to 'difficult' fasteners, but this was like nothing i'd encountered!!!

I took it to my 'smith. He cut a couple relief grooves in the barrel shank, then locked it up in his vise (which is MUCH larger than mine) and he used a metal collet barrel vise. Despite all that he still had to whack his wrench a few times before the glue finally broke loose. I felt somewhat vindicated :)

Last edited:
I've had this rifle since May 1983 (according to the barrel it was made in Nov? 1982). It was a Rem 700 ADL and my HS graduation present and has taken many whitetails. The barrel has long since been shot out and needed something new.

This is one of my few "original" firearms. It was never radically 'upgraded' before aside from bedding, lapping the lugs a bit, and me honing/adjusting the original trigger. I've been wanting to do something special with it and recently bought a Criterion RemAge prefit barrel in 7mm Rem Mag.

Then I remembered I wanted to do something with the ~350 new and another ~150 (multi-fired) WW casings in 300 Win Mag from when I reloaded and shot that chambering. I recall a long thread here many years ago RE the 7mm-300 Win mag. I was enamored with the chambering then so naturally decided on the 7mm-300 Win Mag. It would be perfect for me and all that I want in a medium-powered, all-around solution (up to elk in the max range of 800yds). A quick call to my 'smith verified that he just happened to have a 7mm/.284 barrel in stock.

So, here she is;
View attachment 527431

View attachment 527433

Stock: Pure Precision Altitude (Alpine color scheme)
Barrel: Lilja #5 contour, 26" finished length, 1:9 twist, 4-groove CM
Chamber: 7mm-300 Win Mag (not sure of reamer specs as my 'smith just said it was an "in-stock" reamer at PTG (and I didn't have to buy the reamer)
Trigger: TriggerTech "Special" @ ~1.5lbs
Muzzlebrake: MBM Beast II 4-port
Bolt: upgraded firing pin spring and lightened firing pin
Bottom Metal: I know I'm gonna get judged here but really like the all-metal KwiKlip system and have 2x 3-round mags for it. I just can't bring myself to use polymer on my rifle. When I used to jump out of planes carrying firearms, I don't recall seeing any aluminum or steel firearms "things" get busted up.... polymer handguards yes, but not metal firearm accessories. So, for me, plastics are rarely an option (pistols okay...not my rifle).
Scope: Vortex PST Gen II FFP 5x25 50mm MOA
Base: Leupold 20MOA 1-piece
Rings: Vortex

Weighs 10lbs 6ozs all up with a loaded mag.
I want one chambered in this caliber really bad.

Is that a Remage nut on the barrel/action?

Thanks!
Hey ST - yep, it's a Criterion Remage barrel nut. It's the way forward for me!

AKA 7mm Practical or the Mashburn Super Magnum (similar, basically the same):

View attachment 527573
7mm Remington Magnum at left, Practical on right.

Yep, all pretty similar. However, passionate "adherents" to each will posit long arguments denoting the respective dissimilarities among the variants!!! That's not me....

I simply wanted the most straight forward 7mm upgrade that would use my existing cache of same-lot, WW 300 Win Mag brass without any need for fireforming.

Hey ST - yep, it's a Criterion Remage barrel nut. It's the way forward for me!

Yep, all pretty similar. However, passionate "adherents" to each will posit long arguments denoting the respective dissimilarities among the variants!!! That's not me....

I simply wanted the most straight forward 7mm upgrade that would use my existing cache of same-lot, WW 300 Win Mag brass without any need for fireforming.
Exactly why I want a 7-300 win mag

I want one chambered in this caliber really bad.
Brother, i hear ya!!!! I've been on that pain-train for 13 years!!!

However, me and hunting/shooting were separated by career/life geography choices until about 3 yrs ago and I've been making up ground ever since! You can see my 1st postings about this cartridge back in '10

Anyone own a 7mm-300 Win Mag?

Be patient and explore any reasonable options/pathways to 'get there' - it is a very satisfying journey. But, if ya 'love the one (rifle) you're with' that will help alleviate the burn for the 7mm-300 Win!

Last edited:

The variants are custom made for discussion and arguments. Reality, as you point out, is that they are still very close in design, performance and concept.

I probably still have 5 reamer variations or revisions of the basic 7mm-300 Win. Mag. It's an extremely useful cartridge with the advantage of a little more powder space over the 7mm Rem. Mag.

I have moved up to the 7mm-300 Norma Mag. for some shooting at longer ranges.

Enjoy!

:)

Brother, i hear ya!!!! I've been on that pain-train for 13 years!!!

However, me and hunting/shooting were separated by career/life geography choices until about 3 yrs ago and I've been making up ground ever since! You can see my 1st postings about this cartridge back in '10

Anyone own a 7mm-300 Win Mag?

Be patient and explore any reasonable options/pathways to 'get there' - it is a very satisfying journey. But, if ya 'love the one (rifle) your with' that will help alleviate the burn for the 7mm-300 Win!
I too was hampered by being everywhere by here for 20 years. Hat's off to ya brother.

I just got my old 60's year model Rem 700 7mag rebarreled and chambered to 7STW, I still have a couple other 7mags but I really want to get one in 7-300 just to have options 😁
Being able to use 300 win mag brass and being able to reload it so easy for this caliber is what got me to wanting one so much

The variants are custom made for discussion and arguments. Reality, as you point out, is that they are still very close in design, performance and concept.

I probably still have 5 reamer variations or revisions of the basic 7mm-300 Win. Mag. It's an extremely useful cartridge with the advantage of a little more powder space over the 7mm Rem. Mag.

I have moved up to the 7mm-300 Norma Mag. for some shooting at longer ranges.

Enjoy!

:)
WOW - that's another world of power!!! I'd bet that 7mm-300 NM will get you wayyyy out there and with lotsa horsepower left to get the job done!

I too was hampered by being everywhere by here for 20 years. Hat's off to ya brother.

I just got my old 60's year model Rem 700 7mag rebarreled and chambered to 7STW, I still have a couple other 7mags but I really want to get one in 7-300 just to have options 😁
Being able to use 300 win mag brass and being able to reload it so easy for this caliber is what got me to wanting one so much
Well that 'Ol 7mm STW certainly won't disappoint in the "hammer" department!!!

I think it's a fine chambering and I remember when Layne Simpson came out with it and got it normalized. I don't recall who was the first ammo and/or rifle manufacturer to put it on the shelf, but it sure has earned a solid reputation.

Recent Posts