Rem.700 build upgrade advice

rugersmygun

First I am on a budget and I am not a competition shooter but I might like to try it out and I have a place that I can shoot out to a 1000yds for fun. Here is what I have this is not a hunting rifle its been a safe queen and I thought it would save me some cash to use this instead of a custom build...

Remington VS Sendero Special
300 win. mag
24" barrel
HS prec. stock

Remember I am on a budget and lets say for now it would be $1000 and I am looking to improve on what I have and be competitive with the guys around here (Bowling Green KY). I want to get the most bang for my buck so where do I start new barrel,trued action,new stock? I hope you guys can help and sorry for all the silly questions but as you can tell I'm a noob and all advice/suggestions will be appreciated!! Thanks Jason

Great rifle to work with. Before I had the action trued new barrel etc. I would see how well it groups. You might not need to do much at all. I would go with a good scope that is 20x or more with side focus and has enough adjustment for 1000 yards.Things to look at, I would put both action screws at 45 inch lbs, and have your trigger adjusted for the best weight for you.Too heavy of a trigger pull will make long range accurate shooting very difficult.

Great rifle to work with. Before I had the action trued new barrel etc. I would see how well it groups. You might not need to do much at all. I would go with a good scope that is 20x or more with side focus and has enough adjustment for 1000 yards.Things to look at, I would put both action screws at 45 inch lbs, and have your trigger adjusted for the best weight for you.Too heavy of a trigger pull will make long range accurate shooting very difficult.

This is some great advice. I was going to go the route of trigger adjustment advice, but also look at having the action bedded in Devcon or something similar. Bedding an action is something you can do your self at home. So really it is the cost of material. I also support the purchase of good optics and rings. You want that scope to be mounted good and tight (don't crush the scope tube about 15in. lbs.). With these modifications you may be able to have a shooter for less than $100. There are some resources on the net that can teach you how to set your own trigger if you want to try it. It will however void the warranty on your rifle. So it's up to you if you want to attempt it. I followed some instruction on my Model 7 and things worked out ok. It's up to you. Make sure the barrel is completely free floated. Double check with a bipod to make sure. Also you want to the get a Harris Bipod or better with a swiveling head. If you get the notched legs, that will help in making sure nothing slips when you are uneven ground. This will run you about $100 depending on where you buy it.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.