Rem .243 700 sps v **load help**

Jro1151

Hi folks, I am hoping you can help me out with something. I recently purchased a new .243 SPS Varmint (Heavy 26"). I am in the Military and gave up on trying to move with my reloading supplies so I gifted them to my brother in another state with the understanding he would load for me...

I am meeting him in Kansas this Spring for some P-Dog hunting, and I want to have him load at least 300 rounds for me. I am definitely liking what I am reading on the 105gr AMAX, but I have read that my 1 in 9.x twist is not tight enough to stabilize....

I know that "every rifle is different" but if anyone has a great varmint load (P-dog to Yote- 300-600 yards) that they are having a lot of success in their 700 SPS Varmint, I would love to have the specifics, especially case, and seating depth/length/primer/powder. A 105gr AMAX is what I would love, but have read mixed reviews coming out of the 1 in 9 twist. I have also looked into the 87gr VMAX, but am open to anything that shoots really well. Please send me your tack driving loads gun). Thanks guys! I'm new to the forum, but have learned so much in the past couple of days!

A 1-9 Twist rate will stabilize the 105 Amax in some rifles and not so good in others.
Personally I would have him load the 95g Sierra Match King and/or the Sierra 85gr HPBT. I shot the 105's in a Savage with a 1-9.25 twist and they did ok but when I found the 95gr Sierra and looked at the BC and the velocity I tried them out. Will not go back to the 105. With the 95 SMK I started with Hodgdon Hybrid 100V.
The 85gr Sierra HPBT is just one tough deadly hunting bullet. Have used it everything from coyotes to mule deer.

Savage Model 10 22" Criterion Light Varmint Barrel

95gr SMK
43.5gr H100V (Hodgdon's Near Max for 100gr Bullet)
Winchester Brass
Federal 210M Primer
Muzzle Velocity=3000fps in a 22" Barrel
Bug hole 3 shot groups.

Problem is what shoots extremely good in my rifle may not shoot good in your rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.