Reloading suggestions for Pre-64 Mod 70 264 Win Mag

MTsmith

I have a recently acquired 1959 Win Mod 70 in 264 win mag. This is the "westerner" model with the 26 inch barrel. I'd love to find a good shooting load with a 130-140 grain hunting bullet. I'd appreciate any load suggestions that any members have found particularly accurate. Thank you in advance for any help.
MTsmith

I have found that the accuracy load listed on the Nosler website, using 140g partitions and 55.0 grains of RL22 is very accurate. It is also VERY slow, putting you in the same velocity range as a 6.5x55. I used it as my hunting load this year because I was hunting in the woods and expecting close range shots.

I have also developed accurate loads using the 140g Partition with Retumbo. I worked up using Hodgdon data (also listed on their website). Max is 63.5 grains. Best accuracy came in at 62.6 grains, produced .6" groups @ 100 yards, and chronoed just a hair under 3000fps.

Keep in mind that the fairly blunt design of the Partition, along with its long bearing surface, tends to reach pressure limits more quickly than the newer VLD type designs. Most guys I have seen shooting VLD's are getting 3100+fps with their handloads. I plan to develop loads using Hornady AMAX's and Berger VLD's, but haven't gotten that far yet.

From the research I have done, Retumbo seems to be THE powder for the .264WM. I have also seen MAGPRO recommended, but have not tried it. I recently bought some RL33 to see how it does, but won't have the chance to experiment with it for a few months yet.

Bear in mind that my rifle is a recent production Model 70, so I don't know if the chamber and bore dimensions are different from your rifle or not.

I have loaded for two 264's. I have found that the slower the powder the better the speed. I get 3050 to 3150 in a 24" barrel with IMR7828, R-25, 50BMG, Retumbo, H1000 and wc872. This is with 140 gr. bullets. With 872 in a 27" barrel I can get to 3300 with 140's and 3400 with 125's. I have also gone to 3470 fps with 130 gr. TSX and 872 but believe this load was to warm for my liking. Guys are having good results with R-33 but I have not used this powder. It is a fun round to play with so enjoy just do it carefully.

The M70 "Westerner" in 264WM came with a 1/9" rate of twist barrel and therefore may have to be pushed pretty hard to get fast enough spin to stabilize 140 grain cup and core bullets, at least making them fairly accurate. I had an FN Mauser action and had a Shilen barrel installed and chambered in 264WM that had the 1/9" ROT and it had trouble with the 140 grain bullets but have had others say their 264 with this twist ran them just fine. My rifle had no trouble with bullets in the 129-130 grain weight.

As was stated earlier, the 264WM likes the slowest of propellants. I used H1000 in mine with good results.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.