Reloading Help - horizontal stringing

cb4128

I'm reloading for my 264 win mag and found a good load for it, but I was looking for some help with either shooting technique or loading tips. I have almost zero vertical dispersion in my groups, but some horizontal stringing going on everytime I shoot.

I've currently only shot the gun with a front bipod and rear bag. Not sure if it's my shooting technique that's causing left to right misses (not gripping the stock aggressively, thumb to the side) or if there's something else on the reloading side I should tweak? Wouldn't think it'd be neck tension, but I'm also pretty new at reloading so looking for any help I can get!

Thanks a lot

How much? What distance? It could be you. It could be your load. If you want to learn about horizontal vs vertical I would point you to googling Tony Boyer vertical stringing and secrets of the Houston warehouse. It is a lot of reading but very good information. It may be a little difficult to apply to your application but a good read none the less.

100 yards - 1/2" wide and 1/8th of vertical. After a littel bit of reading, I'm going to double check my torque values on my scope rings, base and action screws.

Next step I will adjust the trigger slightly lower and do some dry fire practice to see if it's user error...

Thanks for the reading tip!

Yes, I should have said I was assuming your equipment was good. I am assuming bedding is good and action screws are properly torqued.

One question, do you touch the stock with the non shooting hand ANYWHERE in front of the trigger guard??
I have found, even with the best laid-up fibreglass stocks, that touching the fore end in some instances will change poi horizontally.
When using a bi-pod, the vibrations change, in the barrel and in the stock depending on WHERE the hand is gripping the stock upon firing and how much pressure is applied to the bi-pod. I load mine positively, this tends to reduce the 'bounce'.
I found using the non shooting hand under the trigger guard and squeezing the rear bag for elevation adjustment to be the least affecting technique you can employ.
This is why big thumpers shoot best off a front rest rather than a bi-pod.

Cheers.
:D

Thanks for the tips thus far. Going to try again prone, as the bench I was shooting off of was slightly canted to the right and it didn't fit me well.

Checking action screws as well - I don't touch the rifle with my off hand - just squeeze the rear bag.

Action screws and scope rings/base are solid.

I'll try again and adjust seating depth if it persists

Wouldn't you think that a group of 1/2" horz and 1/8 vert is pretty good. I assume 3 shot group.

When doing load developement, consider getting some sand bags to shoot off of and **** can that bipod until it comes time to zero for the field.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.