Horizontal stringing in .243

I think of bedding this way! It does not change the scope rifle relationship, they stay unchanged and the same even if the barreled action were nailed to a fence board. Bedding only insures that the recoil energy is transmitted to the stock the same way every time the rifle is shot. All of my rifles have been B P and floated, but I have never found a way to bed the rifle to my shoulder. Even the weight and forces of my face against the rifle change my p.o.i. between different shots. When I start shooting bizzare unidentifiable groupings it is always me causing the problems and is very easily identified by my shooting partners. .001 of bedding vs. .250 of shouldering differences. My shoulder cant tell the difference but my hand can, simply by touching my shoulder and feeling its relationship to the recoil pad. (kind of a Klingon kapow salute). An action that is not tight to the stock is totally unacceptable a free temporary fix ( until the cardbard gets wet ) can often be found in a cereal box. Cut a spacer or gasket that fits the bottom metal and place the gasket between the stock and bottom metal, this allows more pinching pressure on the stock and less movement of the action. just because the screws are tight does not mean the stock is.

Common causes of horizontal spread are the scope or mount rather than the rifle or load. But, if not, tweak the charge and seating depth.

I was just shooting cheap ammo. They were not even handloads (which I will do in the future). Just never had that problem with factory ammo at that range with other rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.