reloading head space

bobk13

I am sorta new to reloading been doing general reloading for yeas shotgun for trapshooting etc. Just getting into precision reloading. I am reloading for a Remington 700. Question: which is better full length resizing or neck resizing, as it relates to head
space and accuracy

i agree with powellsix. if you will also get a set of redding competition shell holders you will be able to easily adjust your seating die. different cases will require a slightly different shoulder set back. they are in .002 increments and make proper shoulder set back easy and quick. i jam shellholder to sizing die base for hard contact not cam over

which is better full length resizing or neck resizing, as it relates to head space and accuracy
For headspace;
Depends on the cartridge, and your chamber, and intended load pressures.
With many combinations you have no choice but to FL size(like a 270, 30-06, 243, etc). That doesn't mean FL sizing is better. It means partial neck sizing won't work out for this condition.
If your cartridge is smaller in area, and with low body taper & high shoulder angle (such as an Ackley improved, or wildcat cartridge)(like 6Dasher), then it's a potential candidate for partial neck sizing only.
With a cartridge between these extremes(like a 6br, 6.5x47L, etc) you can partial neck size and bump shoulders with a body die. This is not FL sizing, nor NS only. This is for the most part what I do, as my cartridges are usually between extremes.
For accuracy;
Neither could be proven as 'better'.
Someone might provide example results one way or another. But when you get YOUR gun shooting as good as IT ever will, it's likely that sizing method meant least about it.
Most likely, was great efforts in load development.

I first strip the bolt of firing pin, ejector and extractor. I drop in a fired case and check for bolt closure. If the bolt closes effortlessly (with the weight of the bolt handle dropping effortlessly) I'm good for head space on that round or series of rounds. I then use the Hornady head space gauge to compare the rest of the lot to determine consistency and resize as necessary.
I use Redding FL sizing dies (type S) with properly sized bushing.
When the bolt will not close effortlessly I rely on my set of Redding competiton shell holders and, following the instructions, sequence the shell holders and run the brass through the FL die until I achieve the goal of the bolt closing effortlessly.
At that point I feel confident that the head space is appropriate and I resize all the remaining cases using that base.

Redding Type S Bushing Full Length Sizer Die 6.5 Creedmoor

Redding Neck Sizer Die Bushing 290 Diameter Titanium Nitride

Redding Competition Shellholder Set #1 (308 Winchester 30-06

I seat bullets using the Wilson seating die.

\L. E. WILSON Inc.

Redding competition shell holders are good, but unfortunately not made in every caliber. You don't say what cartridge you are shooting.. For a hunting rifle, F/L sizing is better than neck only. You don't want hard bolt closure for that second shot.

For headspace;
Depends on the cartridge, and your chamber, and intended load pressures.
With many combinations you have no choice but to FL size(like a 270, 30-06, 243, etc). That doesn't mean FL sizing is better. It means partial neck sizing won't work out for this condition.
If your cartridge is smaller in area, and with low body taper & high shoulder angle (such as an Ackley improved, or wildcat cartridge)(like 6Dasher), then it's a potential candidate for partial neck sizing only.
With a cartridge between these extremes(like a 6br, 6.5x47L, etc) you can partial neck size and bump shoulders with a body die. This is not FL sizing, nor NS only. This is for the most part what I do, as my cartridges are usually between extremes.
For accuracy;
Neither could be proven as 'better'.
Someone might provide example results one way or another. But when you get YOUR gun shooting as good as IT ever will, it's likely that sizing method meant least about it.
Most likely, was great efforts in load development.

Interesting observation. Not questioning your assertions but can you possibly elaborate on why one must FL size a round in the '06 family. I've neck sized only (25-06, 6.5 x 55, .270) with Wilson bushing dies without any problems & great accuracy. However, I've recently purchased a set of body dies for all my rifles as my 6.5 Creedmoor rounds became difficult to chamber after 5 or 6 firings. I'm assuming the answer lies in the shoulder angle from your post. I'm fairly new to the game & value opinions such as yours...

Cases expand out on firing. Those relatively long cases with high body taper, and very low shoulder angle will expand quite a bit. This, because there is less in perpendicularity of surfaces -to stop that. They will get longer with each cycle, and after re-forming back to a standard (FL sizing), the excess length remaining will have to be trimmed away.

Now if you run a very mild load, an actual requirement to FL size could take a good number of cycles to reach. With a 223rem I can get away Wilson neck sizing, and bumping shoulders with a body die only for at least 30 cycles. This is Lapua brass, mild load, and way less area than 243win up.
You might notice many folks insist that FL sizing is a must. That sooner or later everyone will need to FL size. So might as well do it from the beginning and every cycle to follow. Some suggest the same of annealing.
I don't agree, as I NEVER FL size MY cartridges. So I feel that FL size/Partial size notions should always be qualified in communication. I probably shouldn't have stated flat out that you have no choice, but tried at least to qualify the reasoning.

Thanks for clarifying Mikecr. I started to order custom Body dies that would do less body sizing & basically bump- but couldn't justify it in my mind with SAAME chambers on my hunting rifles. i was also debating whether to FLS with BD every time (once fire-formed) or continue neck-sizing only (bump when needed). I'm thinking now, I may not have a choice....I will have to resize each time in these more "unforgiving" case designs- particularly with my relatively hot hunting loads.

I'm a fan of neck sizing and then bumping the shoulders back when needed. I bump back .002 for my bolt action rifles.

I can't say categorically why I choose this method. It just makes the most sense to me when I consider all of the variables. But I'm always learning and I try to never say that my way is the best/only way to do things.

More importantly one thing that hasn't been stated yet is if you choose to FL size every time, don't follow the instructions that come with your reloading dies on how to set your FL sizing die. Those instructions are written so that your ammo would work in any spec'ed chamber. This would overwork your cases and is not necessary. It would be wise to invest in that Hornady headspace comparator tool that was mentioned earlier.

Hope this helps!

I broke down & bought the Redding competition shellholders...screw die down to .010 shellholder & turn in an additional 1/4 after lowering ram. Then find the appropriate shellholder to give you between .001 & .002 shoulder bump. I would go .003 with an automatic.

KTLapua-b_zps8d1abc2c.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.