Reloading for an AR

coachA

I have a question about reloading for my AR. I was wondering if you use the same reloading table for an AR that you use for your bolt guns? I know bolt guns handle pressures better than ARs do. Having said that do I need to use certain powders or do something different than what I am used to? I recently saw some powders that are designed for ARs. Do I need to only use that powder or would I just need to use less than what the tables say to keep the pressures down. I am just curious to know what you all do. Thanks!

Well first i will say for an AR you must always full length resize. Your die should be set up for a .003 to .005 shoulder bump instead of the one to two thousands we use on bolt guns.

As far as powder charge it depends on your chamber. There are AR15's with .223 chambers, .223 wilde, 5.56 and everything in between.

Only one of my reloading manuals actually have load data for the 5.56. That is the hornady. 5.56 charges are greater than those sugested for the .223 bolt gun.

No matter what your AR is marked as to chamber you should start low and work up. No way to really know what chamber you have.. If you want your brass to last stay away from those 5.56 loads.

Powders? I have tried varget, n140, RL15 and CFE223. RL15 and CFE have done the best. I like CFE223. Meters easily, great velicities and accuracy. Of course the.69 gr MK is my bullet.of.choice.

I use 43.0g of IMR 4166 with a 150 SST. I get right at 2700fps out of my 16" barreled LR-308. Make sure you are using data complied for an auto loaded rifle. There is quite a difference in acceptable pressures. Remember that it is never socially acceptable to wear any piece of your rifle on your face.

I look for pressure just like on a bolt gun. I don't hotrod ARs, too many bad things can happen.
I hate to admit it but I get LC primed brass ready for powder at 10 cents a piece. I don't even fool with 223 brass. Its not worth my time to have GREAT 223 brass and then have it tore up and thrown in the mud anyway.
My Creed and WSSM AR brass I do work on.

Besides keeping an eye on pressure with the AR, it is also important that the powder burn rate be consistent with the gas cycling system timing. This was one of the early issues effecting reliability when first employed in battle in the 60's. My go to load with both my bolt rifle's and my AR15's are identical. 25gr of Varget ignited by a CCI BR4. I use 69gr SMK's almost exclusively in both my bolt and AR rifles which are used primarily for target/competition. Besides powder choice, other considerations with the AR are COAL, full length resizing, and sufficient primer hardness. I have had good success with the RCBS FL X dye which also sizes the brass length. It does reduce the need for trimming for up to 10 reloadings without detriment to my accuracy.

I have a question about reloading for my AR. I was wondering if you use the same reloading table for an AR that you use for your bolt guns? I know bolt guns handle pressures better than ARs do. Having said that do I need to use certain powders or do something different than what I am used to? I recently saw some powders that are designed for ARs. Do I need to only use that powder or would I just need to use less than what the tables say to keep the pressures down. I am just curious to know what you all do. Thanks!

First What cartridge are we talking about......5.56 and 223 Rem or 7.62 NATO or 308 Win.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts