reloading for 22-250 using SUPERFORMANCE powder

jammer300

I'm having a hard time finding any info for this powder. I have some 50 gr. V-MAX bullets sitting around and was wanting to load them in my 22-250. was wanting to use the SUPERFORMANCE powder I have but the only load I can find is the one on the bottle and is for a 60 gr. V-MAX. I would appreciate any suggestions. thanks.

When this powder first hit the shelves, I played around with it a little in the 22-250 (with 50gr Vmax). It was pre-chrony, so I have no velocity data. I shot groups with a few different charges, none over 43gr of powder. I never had pressure signs, but it was also the worst powder I had tried in that rifle for accuracy. I have heard of others having very good results.

I ended up using Varget, and it gives me almost 4000fps at max charge (50gr Blitzking). My pet accuracy load is around 3875. Good enough for my purposes.

With Superformance, maybe start at 40gr or so and do a work-up looking for pressure signs.

Good luck

Brandon

thanks for the info varmintH8R I will try starting around 40 gr and see how that does and maybe go from there. thanks again

Based on what I am seeing from Hodgdon's online loading data, SUPERFORMANCE powder is best suited for heavier bullets. I would consider the fact that it only appears in their loading data for 60 grain bullets and heavier to be significant.

If you are looking for higher velocity with 50 grain bullets, you might consider CFE 223 or IMR 8208XBR.

Looking at the hodgdon website, I see that the fastest 50gr loads are with CFE 223 powder. CFE223 is listed on the burn rate table at position 103 with Varget at 99 and LeverRevolution at 104. By comparison, Superformance is at position 126, right after H4831 at 125.

So Superformance is a slow powder, better suited to heavier bullets. Looking at the loads for 70gr, Superformance powder is up with the best velocities. So save it either for heavier bullets, or a different cartridge like a 243 shooting heavy bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.